Split SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
A bit of background first. I built an amplifier using the TDA2040 and the schematic found on page six of this pdf: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/1460.pdf (1.83MB)
For a power supply I decided to use two matching SMPS to get the split voltage I need to run this type of amp. The top schematic of the first picture shows how it is set up as of now. When all is hooked up, a loud tone is created. Clearly something is wrong and I think it is the grounding. the second and third schematics (pic 1) are what I think might fix the issue and further improve he sound (smoothing caps?). The input, output, and power grounds from both channels are all connected though the heatsink/chassis. Could that be the problem? The datasheet says that isolation between the heatsink and chip is not needed but it might be the problem as well. :confused:

Anyone know what this might be caused by?

Edit: the first picture went below and is titled "split psu.bmp"

Attachments

• split psu.bmp
    30.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 215
The datasheet says that isolation between the heatsink and chip is not needed but it might be the problem as well.

I´ve been to lazy to search where in the datasheet it`s stated that chip isolation is not needed in this case but as I see it this can only be true for a 'single voltage supply' not a 'bipolar supply' (aka split-power-supply). Maybe an error in the data-sheet? There is already one: Figure-12 is refered to as "Amplifier with Split Power Supply" whereas what is shown is clearly not "Split".

The datasheet says tab of device is connected to pin-3 which is V-.
With a 'split power-supply' with it`s V- connected to pin-3, You`ve grounded it (short circuited) it through the unisolated tab of the chip.

I`d say isolating the chip from the case / heatsink should fix Your problem (provided Your SMPS are short circuit proved and the V- power supply part survived).

Yes! No! Yes!

Thanks cocolino, I may have to call this the "moody amp"
Yesterday, I isolated the chips from the 'sink as suggested and they worked great, I played them for over an hour before power down to make some improvements. I added a mesh cage and gave the power supply a new home (pics below). Well, today I fired them back up and once again I got the harsh buzzing and various tones from them. I was not pleased, but also not discouraged. I have decided that the turn on time of the SMPS's causes the sounds which continue afterward. If I wait ~4 seconds before connecting the amp, everything works pretty well. It is still a bit finicky but this seems to have fixed most of my problems.

Does anyone know if the below modifications will help or hurt the performance?
Grounding through a low value resistor or thermistor
Adding smoothing caps to the PSU (did I even draw that right?)

Attachments

• DSC_0182.JPG
    DSC_0182.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0183.JPG
    DSC_0183.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0187.JPG
    DSC_0187.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 62
  • split psu.JPG
    split psu.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 76
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.