Power supply output connections?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a couple of basic questions regarding power supply output connections.

I want to connect a supply to a DAC that requires 24 volts and has only two power input wires Red/Black (+/-) and I have a power supply that has three output wires: 24volt+-0-24volt- ...do I connect the +/- to the red and black wires and connect the 0 to chassis ground? Or the 0 to circuit ground?

Or do I need a power supply with only two wires (Red/Black +/-) ?

Second question is, I want to power the TDA1545A seperately and I have a 12volt 5amp supply that I want to use...am I correct that I can use this supply and the TDA1545A will only draw the current it requires without frying it or am I going to have a melt down?

Thanks for any information.

T.D.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry, second question, yes the TDA will draw what is required.
TBH a 5 amp PSU sounds as though (and I may be wrong.. haven't seen it) that it isn't designed for high regulation and low noise... which is what you want for a DAC. It won't do any harm as long as the 12 volts is stable (if that IS the voltage you need... would have to look the TDA data sheet up).

Thanks for all the replies.

I double checked, the DAC itself can use anything from 12 to 24voltsDC and the TDA1545A requires 12volts.

The 5amp figure in my oirginal post is a typo...it is actually a 12 voltDC 1.5 amp regulated linear supply that I bought at a military surplus store, but with tight regulation and low noise now in mind I have decided to build one of these supplies for my project to power the TDA1545A:

The σ11 Regulated Power Supply

T.D.

Attachments

• s11_assy.jpg
    s11_assy.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.