Mains voltage regulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried a search or two but that has not given any results.
I was wondering whether anyone has gone to the trouble of building a regulator for mains voltage. I know you can buy them, but how difficult would they be to DIY

It would simplify alot of power supply design if you already had a nice stable voltage to work with. Regulation and conditioning in one would be very nice.

Would this be too expensive for the benefits or just not worth the effort?

Just a thought :)

Hi peranders,
I'm actually surprised that there is not more mention of mains voltage regulation on this forum, as it would seem to me to be the best way of making life a little easier when designing/modifying and building audiophile audio equipment. Am I wrong about this?
On ebay there are a couple of regulators for sale (item numbers: 380181418336, and 380181418342) for less than £100.00 which on first glance would seem to fit the bill.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who new from experience just what was entailed in the construction of a mains regulator. It could be an interesting project.

I think I might Google a bit to see what comes up.
Any thoughts on the subject?
:)

I was wondering whether anyone has gone to the trouble of building a regulator for mains voltage. I know you can buy them, but how difficult would they be to DIY

It would simplify alot of power supply design if you already had a nice stable voltage to work with. Regulation and conditioning in one would be very nice.

A PFC or Power Factor Correction circuit will provide regulation of the AC input. A PFC circuit is a special PWM controller and buck boost circuit to provide a more stable input voltage. There are lots of PFC controllers for the usual suspects (SMPS IC Manufactures) and lots of datasheets and white papers on how to include a PFC circuit in your design. Many PFC also have soft-start options to address current in-rush for the inital charge of Input/OutCapacitors used by the SMPS.

Although a PFC is a DC output device. You need to use a SMPS behind the PFC circuit. You can't use a Linear regulator because it needs AC input.

Hope this helps!

It might be simpler to regulate the secondaries if you went to the trouble of regulating the mains, but really, it is not that much trouble to regulate the secondaries.

Well it can be an problem if the input voltage is too low (ie temporary main voltage sag) or if the output current load is near the power supplies maximum output. To accomidate these conditions it would be necessary to increase the transform power output and increasing the secondary output voltage above your real target voltage so that it can compensate for mains voltage sags. Consider that if the input voltage drops by 10% the secondary voltage will also drop by about 10%.

A PFC implementation is probably easier in most cases since you don't have to modify the transformer or the parameters of the Switching controller. A PFC can be practically added without any modifications to the original power supply circuit since it effectively operates independantly.

I've used and subjectively evaluated two different types of such devices, one transformer based and designed for small computing applications, the other a 1st gen PS Audio amplifier-type device. Both had a very obvious negative nett effect to the subjective sound of my system, and I ended-up making my own passive filtration device instead.

In both cases, an inability to supply sufficient current was, I suspect, at the root of their problems.

I have heard from a friend whose opinion usually accords with my own that the current generation of PS Audio devices are very effective. I have no notion what technology they use to achieve their affect, though am aware that active regulation continues to lie at the core of their ethos.

I'm by no means convinced voltage fluctuations are an important arbiter of subjective sound in audio, and would suggest beneficial effects of preferred devices may be due largely to their potential to filter both low and high frequency anomalies on the supply line, and that well-designed passive filters, being cheaper and easier to build, should be tried first.

cheers,

how about a multi-tapped primary and use a comparator/Schmidt to control relays/FET switches to connect the appropriate tapping for the delivered supply voltage.
For 220/240Vac, twin primaries of 100,110,120 give a range of inputs of 200 to 240 in 10V steps.

Alternatively, an autotransformer with 4 output voltages of 5Vac could be used again with auto switching to get 8steps (4step up and 4step down) of 5Vac either side of the nominal input voltage. A 1kVA autoformer with tapping of 5Vac to 20Vac could supply a whole ring main to 12kVA (240Vac) or 6kVA (110Vac.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Pretty useless and overkill for any audio application, but you can easilly build a mains voltage regulator with a variable auto transformer, an electric motor, an rms detector and a servo control circuit. I've had such a project on hold for a while for my HAM shack (waiting to find a "cheap" secondhand 20A Variac).

Here are some commercial (industrial examples):

Australian Rectifiers - Variable Transformers, Rectifier, Electroplating Rectifier, Plating Rectifier, Electrowinning Rectifier, Australian Rectifier

I think you are asking for too much. This would be a high voltage, high current device. Read that expensive. Of doubtful use, but of course there is a whole esoteric market out ther for things like that. If you know EXACTLLY the current needed, the slick method is called a ferro-resonant supply where by use of a third winding you vary the saturation of the core and regulate the output. Only works within a few percent KVA. With a big enough cap bank after the rectifier, could be possible.

The kind of stabilizers and PDU's mentioned above are to keep from burning up motors from under voltage and surges. Very necessary in many parts of the world. They are not regulators in the sense of providing pure, stable sine waves. They are just switching taps ( glitch, glitch), to keep the basic voltage in spec.

Most designs take care of regulation after the mains transformer.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.
My initial thought when starting this thread was triggered by an article I read about the fluctuation in mains supply voltage and the "artifacts" that can be generated by the switching of high voltage/current devices on the same power lines. How much truth in this, I do not know
It is of course more pertinent if you live someway "down the line", with alot of houses, businesses etc drawing power before you.
I know that nearly all electronic equipment has a regulated supply which is done after the transformer; it just seemed to me that in certain situations a fully regulated and filtered mains supply would be a pre-requisite for audiophile equipment; and if this can be achieved easily and cheaply why not use it? I do not imagine any gains in sound quality could be obtained, at least not with my level of equipment. It is more of a case of:
"right, that's sorted I've got 240v with no spikes so now I can move on to the best bits"
There is alot of discussion ( for instance ) about the type of interconnects you should use and which way round they should go!? and how one resistor sounds compared to another, and many other discussions about some very subtle effects that might have an influence on sound quality, and yet there is very little mention about the nature of mains power. This is probably because we just take it on trust that what comes into our houses, "is what it is" and do not question it in any way.
I wonder if anyone has done any widespread testing of mains supply in different locations to see how much variabiliy there is?
Cheers
Happy New Year
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.