Erno's All FET Shunt Regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Erno's All FET Shunt Regulator

After reading his special article,

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/pics/waagbo2863.pdf

I am really interested to build a trial. Yet, there are different grades in dual jfet J109/K389 - GR,BL,V. I can find GR and V but not BL in the market. May I know what are the needs to use different grades of J109/K389 in this circut?
Old 6th December 2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

first - if you're not aware of importance and reason why different current grade parts are used , maybe you aren't ready to construct your own ; there are more than enough informations for little reverse engineering/constructing ...... but you must know basics
second - I can't find anywhere in text that 109/389 are used at all ..... even if I know that already .
are you sure your informations are from that pdf ?
third - Papa Borbely choose to not reveal publicly all circuit details ..... so I'm pretty sure that no-one will help you in that , at least in public forum

click on CookBook link in my signature . there you'll find one similar shunt reg , with all necessary details of construction ; feel free to build it
Old 6th December 2009, 12:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know he is using dual Jfet J109BL/K389BL because my brother just bought one. He is a very serious DIYer but I'm not - just loved to use a solder gun and make something for my non-serious use. Erno put his circuit and description on his web therefore I think he is open for people to build his design.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

If you can really find V grade, you can trade them with me for some BL grade.

But make sure they are real Toshiba parts first, as a lot of people got burned in a Group Buy here a couple of years ago.

Patrick
Old 6th December 2009, 03:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

How do you distinguish between real and fake 109/389? Can you tell me how to distinguish it?

Last edited by Sunsun22; 6th December 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 6th December 2009, 03:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I believe there could be fake 109/389 in the market but actually, I can only find 2nd hand 109/389 V grade in China (Shenzhen Electronic City). I don't know would people make fake 109/389 and sell as second hand components?

By the way, are your BL grades new or used? How many pairs you have?
Old 6th December 2009, 03:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
I believe there could be fake 109/389 in the market but actually, I can only find 2nd hand 109/389 V grade in China (Shenzhen Electronic City). I don't know would people make fake 109/389 and sell as second hand components?

By the way, are your BL grades new or used? How many pairs you have?
What price are you getting these V grade Fets? You can check IDSS using known method to check. IF they behave like a fet they cannot be fakes. Used ones are better as they are possibly genuine
kannan
Old 6th December 2009, 03:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
After reading his special article,

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/pics/waagbo2863.pdf

I am really interested to build a trial.
With the exception of CCS, the Op-Amp shunt is very similar to the one I'm using here: The Phono Stage

It is indeed very good sounding regulator, way better than all 3pin types I tried.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th December 2009, 04:30 PM   #9
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Mine were bought years ago when they were still available, from reliable sources, and I have tested them all. So I am sorry to say I am not prepared to trade them for second hands from Shenzhen. If you need BL grade, I suggest you buy matched pairs of 2SK170BL / 2SJ74BL and use e.g. my Dual JFET heatsink (see thread below).

You can test them according to Borbely's article. And I think I have described my testing method somewhere, e.g. :

The next best thing to 2SK389 / 2SJ109 ?

Patrick

PS The Borbely regulator still uses global feedback. I try only to use open loop followers (cap multipliers) these days.
Old 7th December 2009, 04:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am getting the second hand 109/389 at about US$8 each pair, grade V, tested (as alleged) in Shenzhen. I did not buy them last week but I think I should have because the cost of time and traveling makes it worth to buy a few pairs to play with.

My brother tried a number of power regulators for his phono amp - DACT CT-100, Erno Shunt Regulator, 3-pin, Op-amp shunt and BJT shunt. So far, the DACT and Erno's are very close. DACT has more punch while Erno's is very musical but lack the power of DACT. It is difficult to choose between these two.

Peter, I don't know my brother went to Toronto with his phono amp in October. Otherwise, I will ask him to contact you and have fun with his toy.

I will try to build this regulator with multi-purpose PCB and see how it works with my DACT phono.

Hide this!Advertise here!