+-114V 1.8KW SMPS Schematic - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 04:28 AM   #11
stewin is offline stewin  Kenya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsim444 View Post

Hello

Attached is a schematic for a SMPS from a known power amplifiers manufacturer, it should deliver 1.6KW to 1.8KW

Comments are welcomed.

Any one intrested into more schematics, mail me.

Micro

has any one managed build this project?
Old 26th November 2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Tarzan is offline Tarzan  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Link to A&T Labs.
Poweramp with SMPS...
K6 700 Watt Audio Amplifier and Switching Power Supply
Old 12th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #13
chas1 is offline chas1  Dominican Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to chas1 Send a message via MSN to chas1 Send a message via Yahoo to chas1
I have built the SMPS and it works almost out of the box, the biggest problem was
closing the feedback loop,a type two is used in design I changed to type type three
and later eliminated the monitoring of neg rail and a few other changes and later reduced it to halfbridge.I went on to design my own halfbridge that suited my needs.I had some help from the designer Reinhard Metz ,who is a member of this forum.The original design called for 100uH inductors on ouputs but were changed to 350uH.I also am aware that some people added large caps on output.Not a good idea,lowers ESR and will have huge effect on feedback loop and could result in oscillations.I posted photos of my halfbridge version of this supply somewhere in this thread.If you have LTspice you can simulate the supply and verify it works.., If you want to build it I would suggest that you buy all parts from source especially the magnetics or better yet buy the completed one.

Last edited by chas1; 12th December 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have seen this expression before: Type two feedback, type three feedback,

I am not familiar with the expression, albeit with feedback theory no problem.

What does it mean?
Old 12th December 2012, 01:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsim444 View Post

Hello

Attached is a schematic for a SMPS from a known power amplifiers manufacturer, it should deliver 1.6KW to 1.8KW

Comments are welcomed.

Any one intrested into more schematics, mail me.

Micro
It seems the electronic diagram from the first post is extracted from one QSC service manual. The design is still a small mistake that was left intentionally.

Last edited by donpetru; 12th December 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1 View Post
I have built the SMPS and it works almost out of the box, the biggest problem was
closing the feedback loop,a type two is used in design I changed to type type three
and later eliminated the monitoring of neg rail and a few other changes and later reduced it to halfbridge.I went on to design my own halfbridge that suited my needs.I had some help from the designer Reinhard Metz ,who is a member of this forum.The original design called for 100uH inductors on ouputs but were changed to 350uH.I also am aware that some people added large caps on output.Not a good idea,lowers ESR and will have huge effect on feedback loop and could result in oscillations.I posted photos of my halfbridge version of this supply somewhere in this thread.If you have LTspice you can simulate the supply and verify it works.., If you want to build it I would suggest that you buy all parts from source especially the magnetics or better yet buy the completed one.
Chas1 are you saying you built the one in post #1 or in post #12?
Old 12th December 2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpetru View Post
It seems the electronic diagram from the first post is extracted from one QSC service manual. The design is still a small mistake that was left intentionally.
Interesting to know there is a mistake

could you show
Old 12th December 2012, 06:12 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

can i get pcb lay out of 1.8kw power supply
Old 13th December 2012, 10:54 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to chas1 Send a message via MSN to chas1 Send a message via Yahoo to chas1
If you follow the directions and have the parts,including the double sided pcb the supply can be constructed and it does work,I had my pcb made here in local board house,wound my own transformer as directed,purchased parts from Mouser,wound my own inductors and gate drive transformer and with a few mod's use the supply to power a 2kW Crown amplifier which I removed from a Toshiba MRI which was used as gradient amps.I did my own pcb layout which was very close to the author's, however I would purchase the author's pcb it's cheaper.The feedback circuit needs some attention.I have completed my own design to suit my needs reusing mosts of the parts from my version of this supply.

Last edited by chas1; 13th December 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

As a follow up,pcb board layout is very important for this supply as the control IC is
on the secondary side and isolated from the power section.

Hide this!Advertise here!