Parallel connected power supplies (Hypex UcD Supply ST)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I make a single 800W PSU by connecting 2xUcD supply STs, rated 400W each, in parallel?. What are the consequences? Also, can I add capacitance by adding to or replacing the 10,000uF caps? Any additional mods required for these changes?

I can't seem to get an answer..proj on hold with this.. Thanks in advance if u can help

I asked Hypex, their reply confirmed it's possible. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this already..

Summary points:
-it should be possible to parallel two UcD Supply STs
-each UcD400 module needs only 4700uF (comment: I think this applies to only 8Ohm loads)
-when driving an 8Ohm load, the output power will be limited to about 260W for a UcD400 (one TR501 fine for two). Two TR501 toroids required for 4xUcD400 at full potential (comment: and 2xUcD Supply ST as paralleling toroids into one device is not recommended!)
-you can add more capacitance to the supply ST, but it's not necessary if each supply ST module is used with 8Ohm loads and up to 800W worth of UcD amp modules (e,g, 2xUcD400 = 800)
-when using two TR501 you only need one softstart module (probably obvious..)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.