Morbid Curiosity? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2009, 04:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Morbid Curiosity?

What would it take to build a power supply for a dismantled car audio class ab amplifier that requires up to 160amp of current?

Ball park cost est would be appreciated!
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Depends... are you planning to use the amp's DC-to-DC conversion, or bypass that and power the load directly? In which case, 160 Amps is subject to your target voltage. Is that peak or continuous? That's alot of amps.

If ... ahem... "all" you need is unregulated 12VDC @ 160A, just look up some 2000VA+ transformers with a 12V secondary.
Old 23rd October 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response SirNickity. I am new to diy audio but have been so amazed by what i have found on this site and others about enthusiasts building there own electronics and or modifying existing product.

The reason I asked this question is i have four never used ppi pcx2400 amplifiers from back in the day when i had illusions of grandeur of building a car audio system. Well i am older now and am not interested in car audio. But have been interested in diy home audio for a while.

The ppi units say they will draw 160amp, i am sorry i assume that is peek. I am not home right now but when i am i will take the top off one and snap some pictures.

Would bypassing the DC-to-DC and powering directly be a better option then the last option you suggested?
Old 24th October 2009, 02:31 PM   #4
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
uh. those could be worth some cash for some collectors today. sell them and get a proper AC powered amp.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Can't really say what would be better. I don't know the amp's power stages, and not sure I could comprehend them at the moment anyway.

From my very basic knowledge of amplifiers, the "working voltage" of the power transistors is most likely significantly greater than 12V (or +/- 6v, if it uses split rails, which it probably does.) So, in essence, you convert from 120 or 240VAC to 12VDC to whatever the internal working voltage is. You could essentially cut one whole stage of conversion out by removing the internal power supply, but you really have to know what you're doing before taking on a project like that. Some folks around here could probably improve upon the original PSU. Myself... I'd be lucky not to catch something on fire.
Old 26th October 2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

This is far too big a project for a novice and selling the amps would realise a lot of cash.

Ball park price for the PSU project 100 UK Pounds per amplifier. I don't know what country you are in.
Old 27th October 2009, 07:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am in Canada. I probably will just sell them. But was interested in the idea of rebuilding them. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hide this!Advertise here!