Using the HYPNOTIZE as a general shunt reg PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If I want say 4v higher voltage, isnt it enough to solder 2 more leds /side?
Old 1st November 2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It is if you can do it off pads, dead bug style. Pads are not enough for 7 leds. Also your input voltage must be adequately higher, at least 6V higher than Vout, a little more than the 3 leds row drop anyway.
Old 20th November 2009, 05:54 PM   #13
flyboi is offline flyboi  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to flyboi
Hi Salas!

Is this led suitable to be used in the B1 buffer?

Avago Technologies | Optoelectronics and Displays | Optoelectronics | LED | 3mm Radial Diffused |HLMP-1790

Regards,

Eddy.
Old 20th November 2009, 06:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Says typical Vf 1V8 at typical If 2mA. So it will climb Vf to about 2V when with the current we use here with circa 8mA Idss BL. About 70% of Idss @10V when under Vbe 0.6V (0.65-10Rdrop), hence 5-6mA. Of course you can use 2SK170GR there under the Leds if you have, for about 2.5-3mA final running If.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas!

Thanks for the explanation. If I go for the recommended led which is in the standard BOM , how critical is the 2sk170bl Idss matching for the shunt psu?

Eddy.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If using it for B1 its all Leds so they keep about the same Vf if you end up with say 1mA different 2SKs underneath them. If for general use as this thread is dedicated to, and using resistors for higher voltages, the difference will show more. Either a good match in the Vref Jfets (the ones in the 1st post's picture) or some difference in the resistors for matching +/-Vout then.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas!
Old 26th November 2009, 08:23 AM   #18
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,

When I build a 2.5A 13V positive reg for a T-amp, could I use a regulated bench power supply (variable 0 to 30VDC, 5A, set it to 20V) for the DC input to save buying a 200VA transformer for testing? Will the sound suffer from using the bench supply?

Another question is, the T-amp has an on-board 4700uF cap, do I still fit the 100uF cap at the shunt regulator output on the Hypno PCB, or leave it out, or put the 4700uF cap in that place?

I have gathered together a fan-assisted heatsink, PCB and all required parts except the power tranny so am set to start building soon.

Ian.
Old 26th November 2009, 01:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Bench supply is OK.

You leave everything as it is for caps. If you get any problems, the 100uF stays, it is local termination, the T amp's cap first goes or changes.
Old 29th November 2009, 09:12 AM   #20
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,

I followed your post #1 and it all turned out fine, except that I misread the instructions for the CCS, the value calculated is for each individual resistor in the pair, not the total resistance in parallel, not to worry. I fitted a 5W 0.47R in that spot for now which gives about 1.7A for the CCS, a bit low, but I was a bit worried about how good the heatsink is. I might go for more current after I let it all burn in a bit. So far the heatsink is doing well and I can keep my hand on it, despite being a hot 33C (93F) day. Something I forgot was the 4700uF cap at the DC power input end, doh. I have some at work, and at home only 16V rated caps, so had to make do with just 1000uF on the Hypno, and the T-amp has 4700uF 16V on board, (which maybe is now redundant?).

So despite being unfinished and incomplete at this stage, how does it sound? At first it was mediocre, but after 4 or 5 hours it was a different story. Compared to the switch-mode supply I was using, which I thought was pretty good, well this one as it is now, hardly broken in and unfinished, is a definite cut above the other one. The vocals are less "in your face", there is a mellow character but also greater detail, lots more detail! The amp seems to sound a bit louder for the same volume setting on the same track. The sound is fuller or deeper, or maybe better balanced is the right word. The characteristics are similar in many ways to the proto Hypno I built. Lots of detail with no sharp edges, and a very clean sound, as if background noise has been eliminated. I've been running it about 8 hours now and its still improving.

I did try powering the amp straight from the DC bench power supply to see how much current this T-amp draws at normal listening levels. From the analogue current meter, it never hits 200mA, just flicks up a bit towards 200mA for heavy bass for example. The amp is rated around 15W/channel into 4 ohms and I use 4 ohm speakers. With 80 to 90% amplifier efficiency I guess I'm barely using a watt per channel at normal listening levels. I'm just mentioning this in case it has any bearing on the operation of this shunt reg in this type of duty.

Some pics, it won't look like this when finished, I promise! It's rough, and still more things to be finalised. Its easy to swap power supplies for AB testing, takes about 20 seconds, just swap the white connector. BTW the Hypno PCB is a joy to work with, very nice indeed. Sorry for long post

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShuntregTamp1.jpg (236.2 KB, 2086 views)
File Type: jpg ShuntregTamp2.jpg (236.3 KB, 1978 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!