Sigma11 to power a PicoPSU 60W ... heatsink help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok So I am designing a PC to use as a jukebox. I have a Aaeon EMB-945T motherboard with a Intel Core Duo T2300 processor, 2GB Ram, and a Juli@ Sound card...

From the motherboard specs typical current draw for the mobo in a slightly diff config is:
Power Consumption (Typical)
T7400 2.16GHz, DDRII 667 1GB
2.59A @ +12V, 2.88A @ +5V, 0.6A @ +3.3V

I plan on using a 75VA Toroid to supply 15VAC @ 5Amp to the Sigma 11 in order to get 12VDC @ 5 Amps out... (The supplied brick DC transformer was rated at 12VDC 5Amp)

Based on the typical current draw from the manufacturer what heat sinks should I be looking at using...

The PicoPSU will only power the mobo. I am using a separate PSU to power the HD's and Fans.

Any help would be appreciated as I am confused about heatsinking requirements..

Nothing is wrong with it I just dont want to use an external brick, I am building this all in a custom case... and want just one power cable going into it. I am somewhat modelling this around "the art of computer transports" and attempting to use a cleaner PSU than the one supplied.

How does the existing PSU in a brick get away with its heatsinking requirement? I wanted to use the S11 because it is a cleaner supply. Based on the mobo specs is it just drawing a typical 31W, is that how much heat capacity the heatsinks need to shed?

It is probably a high efficiency design. It will probably say "Efficiency Level" on it, with a number after it to indicate its efficiency level. It will probably be III or IV, maybe V if it's very new.
A better supply won't help since the 12v does not directly power the motherboard. It is converted into other voltages first. Just ask any experienced overclocker. Any good quality power supply is sufficient if it can handle the load.

This thing is basically a Via Epia series mobo with a custom PSU powering a PicoPSU... My idea was a embedded Core Duo ITX mobo... with a ESI Juli@ for I2S out... with a linear PSU (as pictured above I think) and the separate PSU (TwistedPearAudio LCDPS) for the two hard drives (1 SSD, 1 WD Scorpio Blue, 500mA peak both)

I have a ParMetal case as a home all the Neutrik style plugs, and a 5 pin barrel plug for
I2S to feed the Buff32 Dac...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.