LiPO battery charging

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen different articles about using and charging LiPO batteries. I know exactly how to handle them in a normal design, but what I want to do this time is a little more demanding. In terms of space.

I want to simultaneously charge two iPod shuffle LiPO batteries from a 5V USB source, taking as little component space as possible. That means using as little parts as possible, going SMD and spending ages with a magnifying glass to do a p2p design, if needed.

I'm just not sure what thebest approach is, I've seen different discrete designs and various ICs that should take care of the whole process, but I don't really have any experience with Lithium batteries. Since the bloody things can catch fire, I'd rather get an opinion from someone that has played with those.

Any sources, ideas, anyone ?

By the way, I'm currently thinking that the MAX1555 is probably the best device for single-cell charging, but I've no experience with it yet, nor any ideas how to charge two cells at the same time over USB.

Last edited:
Actually, the MAX1555 is great for exactly what I want to do. I'll source a few of those, but I've got another dilemma on hand.

I want to use two cells in series, to get a higher voltage for an opamp. That shouldn't be a problem, but I need to charge the cells individually with 2 seperate ICs. I wonder how to wire that whole setup so I can accomplish that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.