Voltage Divider question - 6 from 12 Volts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brit01 said:

sorry not sure what you mean.

A zener with each resistor? Or as a substitute to create the required resistance?

You need not resitores, only one Zener diode, above 6 v leads, so does the voltage not exceed 6 v, look fig.
-his source is not symmetric, will need only one Zener diode....

Attachments

• regulated.gif
    regulated.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 135
Brit01 said:
If I've got 4 amps at 12V.

Then 2 x 2.5 amp heaters would be 5 amps.

But at 6 volts this would be ok yes?

If you use two 6080s in series you need 12 V 2,5 A. If you use 2 in parallel, you need 6 V 5 A. To get 6 V 5 A from a 12 V transformer you need a 12 V 5 A transformer and a resistor that wastes 6 V 5 A = 30 W away.

The series connection is the second best way to go, if you need two 6080s. If you don't, the unused 6080 wastes 15 W. Pretty much the same as wasting 15 W in a resistor, but the resistor might be cheaper.

Don't use the Zener. It is a waste in this project and you will still need the resistor.
Forget about the diodes either. They need to be big, which means expensive and the forward voltage may not be 0,7 V at the current you need.

The best way is to get an adequate transformer.

Rafael.luc said:

Yes you are correct, I had not looked at the current

But, Zener diode need not the same as the current source, who will consume the current is the load, zener can be 1/2 of the load current.

You can amplify the zener and then it can be 1/100 of the load or more.

But no matter what, he will have to burn considerable power somewhere: on a diode, resistor, zener, transistor.

Since the load is constant a series resistor must be the most straight forward option (I presume "heater" is a heating element of some thermionic valve?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.