Quality Toroids in Germany

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, just wondering if anyone knows of a place to get good quality Toroids in Germany. I know a place in Poland, but they want 104.50euros inc postage from toroidy (postage is 25euros) for 2 custom made toroids. Just wondering if i can get something of good quality but cheaper here (im in wolfsburg). I asked this in the update thread, but i cant seem to find it to read the replys, sorry haha.

After a couple of 300va 2x25v (twin primary's isn't essential)

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you talk about power transformers, there's is no such thing as a magic toroid for audio.

Some manufacturers just seem to have discovered audio as a new buzz word for a better margin.

Any high quality manufacturer can offer you the following:

- toroid with larger core than necessary for a certain VA-rating to decrease working inductance and that helps a bit against mechanical humm if DC is present on mains. That's not strictly necessary as you can build a cheap DC-filter.

- use of an electrostatic screen between windings to get capacitive coupling down (usually a pretty cheap option), done to keep high frequency garbage on mains out of the amp

- if necessary, magnetic shield. Usually done using trafo steel sheet and also not an expensive option

- potting for nicer looks, but technically not necessary (reduces mechnical humm a bit in case of DC on mains as in first point)

With that information you can get your custom made toroid from a local toroid manufacturer and has the nice advantage that you can choose whatever secondaries you want.

I don't know what the VA-ratings of your toroids are, but quality has its price.

Cheap and quality don't go together.

Have fun, Hannes

Last edited:
Hi, I'm reluctant to recommend manufacturers from Germany without having real experiences. You can try to google for manufacturers, look at their website and if you like the information there, send them an email. If they respond fast and usefully, you have your manufacturer ;-)

Have fun, Hannes

so toroidy standard toroids might be the way to go? they look pretty good quality from what i can see, but an extra 20 euros just to make them 'audio quality' with all the extra treatments and custom made, i dont think that is necessary. Any opinions?

Oh and thanks very much for that list mjf

wow i think im gonna go with toroidy. The price for 2 300va 2x24v is 192zl which is like 47 euros. This is about how much i find at the germany sites for a single toroid! Then add 20-25euro postage and its about 72 euros for 2. That looks to be the way to go i think. Only issue is how to pay...might have to check how much it costs to do a bank transfer....or paypal.

i dunno if its worth going for their 'audio grade' ones, since they cost another 20 euros each and have all the treatments etc.

Last edited:
Better late than never:

I want to strongly recommend Badel

http://www.badel-gmbh.com/

a manufacturer located in munich.

My ordered toroids arrived today and are simply of excellent quality.

The pricing is great as well, my custom made toroids are actually cheaper than stock units (without all my additional blows and whistles) from distributors.

Any options are possible: additional auxiliary windings, magnetic and electrostatic shielding, potting, inrush current limit, even over temperature protection.

And they do inductors as well, if somebody needs high current parts.

Service is outstanding, I mailed them a couple of times over the years (when my project was steadily changing) and I always got a competent reply within 1-2 days.

Yeah, I certainly sound like I'm part of their marketing department, but, honestly, I'm just a truly satisfied and happy customer.

Sorry for the late recomendation, I didn't want to recommend a manufacturer without having their products in my hands.

Have fun, Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.