Total newbie post - trying to replace ext. PS on vintage Mark Levinson ML-1 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the newbie post, but here goes.

I recently purchased some vintage audio gear at an estate sale auction. One piece of gear was a Mark Levinson ML-1 solid state preamp, which dates from approximately '77 to '80. Unfortunately, the external power supply was not included. Thus far, I've been unable to find a replacement online. I'm hoping something eventually pops up on eBay. In the meantime, I'm thinking of building a quality power supply so that I can actually make use of the preamp until I find the real deal online.

I have experience with a soldering iron building speakers and can follow (though not design) a schematic. I've never dealt with power supplies before and don't know the first thing about them. Mark Levinson tells me that the power supply was plus or minus 15V, 500mA each rail. They weren't sure of the pin configuration, and the connector is a bit of a mystery as well (see below).

Any suggestions or insights on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

IMG00139.jpg

A simple way to get started is here: http://sound.westhost.com/project05a.htm

See mouser.com and/or digikey.com, etc. for parts. You may also be able to find a mate for the connector, or just get a new male/female connector pair that fits the hole in the chassis. With basic electronics knowledge, you should be able to open up the chassis and determine the connector pinout.

Once you have something simple like that behind you and are feeling like tackling something more complicated, there are several different regulator designs to be found here on the forum, and probably many people who will insist that a Mark Levinson design demands a more sophisticated regulator. But for now, start simple and bring that piece back to life.

Also if you post in the Solid State forum there's probably someone who can come up with the schematic for the preamp and original regulator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.