SMPS 2KW full bridge strange signal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Orcino is offline Orcino  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS 2KW full bridge strange signal

Hi, i made a SMPS full bridge with IGBTs IRGP4063 and a drive IR2113, but in test with 90vdc i look a strange signal in gate high side the IR2113 , this is a normal ? or is a noise ? look en teh sch below.

Very tahnks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sch_fonte.pdf (42.0 KB, 727 views)
Old 25th July 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the tangent; I'm not the one to ask about switching PS's.

Is that Orcad you are using? I miss that app
Old 27th July 2009, 04:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is that stepped waveform on the transformer primary, on the gate of the upper IGBT, or is it the signal IN to the hi-side driver?

If it's on the primary winding(s), then it's probably either dead-time where both switch devices are in a hi-z state, or it's because of a PWM signal <50% and represents a similar "off" period.

I've worked on DC/AC converters and seen the exact same stepped waveform. The supply worked perfect up into the KW range and the stepped waveform didn't seem to affect anything.

Is anything ringing, getting hot, or excess idle current? Is the supply able to make the desired output power?

Cool project! If you don't mind, keep us informed on your progress as there is a lot of interest in off-line switching supplies; me included.
Paul
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 29th July 2009, 11:27 PM   #4
TechGuy is offline TechGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had this problem before. It happens with the gate controller is not providing a gate voltage above the Drain\Collector input voltage. For your High side IGBT or MOSFET, the gate voltage must be at least 10 Volts higher than Drain\Collection voltage. Other wise it does fully turn on the transistor fully. Check to make your Gate driver's bootstrap is working properly. It likely cause by a bad connection or a faulty bootstrap diode, or you accidentially connected the boostrap diode backwards.

Hide this!Advertise here!