Toroids on ebay - $25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2009, 11:47 PM   #1
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Toroids on ebay - $25

Wanted to run this past you guys to see if there are any alarms:

120VAC primary, dual 24VCT secondaries, at 12A each

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toroidal-Power-T...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1240|293:1|294:50#ht_500wt_924

Seems like these would be well usable for some decently sized chipamp power supplies, no? If you guys didn't have any big red flags, I was thinking of ordering one or two. Thoughts?
Old 18th July 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like a good deal. It should work great for an intermediate level bench power supply.

If you're looking for a fixed +-24v power supply at 12A per rail, you can get two of the following: http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17429+PS . It would be $50, but it may end up cheaper once you consider the cost of additional components to make a complete power supply.
Old 18th July 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Amveco is a very reputable transformer manufacturer, but be leery of cheap 24+24VAC transformers used for cheap battery chargers. I've bought a couple just such cheap transformers, not from Amveco but from a cheap Chinese source, and their mechanical 60Hz noise was unacceptably loud. I mean, you could clearly hear the hum/buzz from 5-feet away. They sounded like you expect a cheap battery charger to sound like buzzing away in your garage.

Again, an Amveco part should be fine, but depending on the design requirements and specs they were built to (versus an off-the-shelf part), they might be a little less than ideal.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:42 AM   #4
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

I ordered a couple. They're HUGE. 9 lbs each.

CHECK OUT MY MANLY TOROIDS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toroids.jpg (90.3 KB, 344 views)
Old 23rd July 2009, 05:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking Wow

Quote:
Originally posted by tresch
CHECK OUT MY MANLY TOROIDS
That's a big, beautiful set you've got there! Just don't let them drop, and make sure you put them in the right place and you'll be very satisfied!
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."

Hide this!Advertise here!