2x batterie's, one charge, one in use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2x batterie's, one charge, one in use?

Hello

i was just wondering, if anybody is using 2x batteri packs, to power ur preamp/dac or anything else low power?

my ideer is to charge one battery pack, and use the other. and then switch when you have to.

could be made quite easy with some li-poly cells.. like these
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...s_e_flite.html

using this IC to charge each cell individualy http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2536

and some relay's or some fet switches, to control what pack is in use, and which is charging.

ofcourse you would also need a capacitor to so you dont loose power when you switch, some simple regulators.. and a C to control it all

or maybe using 2 banks of double layer caps, somethinh like these. http://dk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...questid=179128

then u wouldn't have the lifetime problem of the batteries. and wouldnt have to use the speciel charge IC's

wouldn't a setup like this, remove almost any noise on the power supply? or is it just a stupid ideer, form another newb?
Old 4th July 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

It's pointless. There are regulator circuits designed for instrumentation that are about as pure a supply that is available.
Old 17th July 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I used 2 x 12VDC Gel batteries to produce +/- 12V for my DC preamp. They are a fantastic, noise free source of DC for audio. No chance of ground-loops either!

I use a DPST power switch that directs the batteries to the audio circuit when 'ON' and when 'OFF,' the batteries are connected to the charger jack.

You may be able to do something similar with a DPDT, center-off switch where center is off, one position is operating off battery A and charging battery B, then when in the other switch position, it will be operating off battery B and charging A. Just an idea.

Anybody can use AC power and regulators. I say go for it and experiment away and have fun!

Cheers,
Paul
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 19th July 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
cdfr is offline cdfr  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi DCPreamp,

Sorry for my ignorance but what does "DPST" stand for?
If I understand well you use a standard battery charger.
If I may ask did you compare your preamp with AC regulated sypply and with battery regulated supply? What was the impression?
I just tried that on my circuit http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...19#post1883719

Cheers,

cdfr
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

DPST- Dual Pole single Throw
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

@star
hmm you are proberly right, though i still think i will do it in my comming preamp.. since i already have the design for it, and i dont have much knowledge on regulators...

@dc
if i do it, the switch between what batteri in use and what is charging, would happen automatically using a small circuit i used in a solerpowered robot...

but it was just a thought, and since the circuit is quite simpel (though there are some pretty small smd's..) and the only drawback i could see being the cost of it.. i just wanted to share the ideer, since diy'ers have a habbit to overdo things (in my experience atleast.)
Old 28th July 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdfr
Sorry for my ignorance but what does "DPST" stand for?
Check this out for everything you need to know about switches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

Quote:
If I understand well you use a standard battery charger.
Since I'm using small 12VDC Gel batteries, I'm using a small Gel battery charger like this: http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...y-charger.html

Since my batteries are in series, I use the 24VDC charger. I got mine off eBay for about $20.

Quote:
If I may ask did you compare your preamp with AC regulated sypply and with battery regulated supply? What was the impression?
I did not try it with an AC supply. I've listened to many conventional preamps and most were very good and a few were outstanding. So when conceiving my DC preamp (Hmmm, where have I seen that before) I planned to use batteries from the start. Here's a thread with details: Battery vs Conventional PSUs

I hope this gives you some direction.
Paul
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 28th July 2009, 09:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by heinrichs
@dc
if i do it, the switch between what batteri in use and what is charging, would happen automatically using a small circuit i used in a solerpowered robot...
My preamp only has two modes: ON and operational, or OFF and either just OFF when not in use, or if the batteries are low, while OFF I can plug in the charger.

Enjoy,
Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!