35v to 18v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Going from 35V to 18V is a 17V drop. If you want to draw even a measly 200mA, you'll dissipate 3.4W. Maybe that's ok, but the suggestion of a switching buck regulator is a very good one if you need any significant amount of current. There's a reason you'll almost never find a shunt regulator in commercial equipment (non-audio) other than as a voltage reference- they're a bad choice in almost any imaginable application.

purpf said:
I'm thinking of using a 2x24v toroidal core transformer with 2 PS units. 1 PSU to power an LM3875 chip amp and the other to power a preamp. Unless I can find a preamp powered by ~35v, I need to lover the voltage to about 18v.

The normal solution is a a third winding on the transformer, two secondaries.

I 've got the same problem with an amp I want to build. The power transformers I have is 481V and I need 320V. Dropping 160V with a resistor is not going to work. I'll just have to buy another transformer and save my big 481V transformers for another project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.