35v to 18v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
switching regulator

Hi,
You could use switching regulators:
L4962 - 1.5A
L4960 - 2.5A
L4971 - 1.5A (DIP package)
L4970 - 10A

There are more of these. They can work with input upto 55v and output as low as 5.1v. You could give these a try.

Hope this helps.

acid_k2 said:
OT (@ ChrisA)
320Vdc is about 1500W rms @ 8 ohm. Are you sure?

Yes I'm sure. I connected it to AC mains and measured.

The part was salvaged from one of the amps inside a late 50's vintage Hammond organ that was used in a church.

But it's 481V at about 500ma so it's only about 240W. The amp (class A/B) has an audio output at the speakers of about 120W into 4 ohms It drove two paralleled 15" wofers. I was able to salvage the audio output transformer too. This transforms the 8,000 ohm power tubes to a 4 ohm speaker load. Together they are about 25 pounds of iron.

They will make a nice practice amp for a bass guitar.

Back on topic: My point was that even if you have a nice part, if it isn't what you need, get another one and save the part for a later project.

purpf said:
Hi,
What's the best way to drop the voltage of a PSU from 35v to 18v? Im thinking about a shunt voltage stabilizer.
What's your opinion?

Hey purpf:

How much current do you need? If less than an Amp, I would recommend the LM2592S. Good for 3A, and will stand off up to 65V, making it an excellent candidate for your needs. Low parts count, switches at 150kHz to reduce size of caps & magnetics, Both fixed- and adjustable outputs available & surface-mount versions, too.

HTH,

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.