best place for output voltage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2009, 03:31 AM   #1
maxpou is offline maxpou  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default best place for output voltage

Hi guys,
i would like to know where is the best place for output voltage in my PS layout, closer to my diode bridge? thank you! Maxpou
Attached Images
File Type: png bridge+cap.png (6.0 KB, 367 views)
Old 14th June 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's fine where it is. If you move it closer to the bridge, then the high, spiky charging currents will be flowing past the output, leading to spikes on the output voltage.
Old 14th June 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Mr Evil,
thank you for reply and the explanations. Maxpou
Old 17th June 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: best place for output voltage

Hi maxpou,

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpou
I would like to know where is the best place for output voltage in my PS layout...
What kind of material is it? Amplifier?

Eric
Old 17th June 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

One thing about the layout is that the traces could be wider to reduce resistances.

Remember: It does not cost any extra to widen traces on PCBs. On the contrary, removing copper uses up the solvent used to dissolve it. When working with low frequency power circuits (where stray capacitance is unimportant), a good way to think of this is to start with a layout of all copper, then remove strips just wide enough to ensure enough clearance between nodes. Which is really what you're doing when making a PCB.
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: best place for output voltage

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Juaneda
Hi maxpou,

What kind of material is it? Amplifier?

Eric
Salut Éric,
no it's for my shunt reg for my line stage. Why? Maxpou
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by star882
One thing about the layout is that the traces could be wider to reduce resistances.

Remember: It does not cost any extra to widen traces on PCBs. On the contrary, removing copper uses up the solvent used to dissolve it. When working with low frequency power circuits (where stray capacitance is unimportant), a good way to think of this is to start with a layout of all copper, then remove strips just wide enough to ensure enough clearance between nodes. Which is really what you're doing when making a PCB.
Hi Star882,
i post my PCB with bigger trace, but i don't how to start with a layout of all copper and remove strips. i use eagle as software. Maybe you can explain to me. Thank you! Maxpou
Attached Images
File Type: png layout ps.png (2.2 KB, 202 views)
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For the same reason that it's good to take the output voltage from where you have it now, it is also a good idea to make a star ground point at the same end, between the two voltage outputs. All ground connections should be made there, except the transformer centre tap connections, which should be kept at the other end, near the bridge where you have "GND" written already.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:31 PM   #9
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpou

Hi Star882,
i post my PCB with bigger trace, but i don't how to start with a layout of all copper and remove strips. i use eagle as software. Maybe you can explain to me. Thank you! Maxpou
That's good. The idea is that since you already paid for the copper, you might as well use it to reduce stray resistance.
Old 12th July 2009, 02:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
somebody can tell me how can i start my PCB with all cooper and remove strips just wide enough to ensure enough clearance between nodes? I use eagle cad. Thank you! Maxpou

Hide this!Advertise here!