ESP soft start circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do I need to earth the case if I use a wall wart?

If I can use any old PNP transistor, is the 0.65V switching determined by the circuit around it, then?

Do all relays have the same pin-out? What type of current and voltage ratings are important? Coil current, coil voltage, contact rating, control off/on voltage? Ugh.

When a voltage of 0.65V is sensed across the relay, Q1 turns on, and instantly completes the charging of C2
Will this work for the PNP transistor?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=BC327GOS-ND

Will this work for the relay, or is it overkill?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=255-2387-ND

This one's rated higher, but is cheaper for some reason.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=Z215-ND

454Casull said:
Do I need to earth the case if I use a wall wart?
Yes, because there is mains voltage present in the case at the relay contact.

454Casull said:
If I can use any old PNP transistor, is the 0.65V switching determined by the circuit around it, then?
All silicon transistors switch at that voltage level. You can also use new PNP transistors, they need not be old. ;)

454Casull said:
Do all relays have the same pin-out?
No.

454Casull said:
What type of current and voltage ratings are important? Coil current, coil voltage, contact rating, control off/on voltage? Ugh.
The coil voltage should be the same as the supply voltage. If it is smaller, you will have to use a series resistor. Then you will need the coil current or resistance to determine the resistor value. The lower the coil current, the better, because you want to waste as little energy as possible.
Contact rating is important. Voltage rating should be AC and greater than or equal to the mains voltage. Current rating should be greater than or equal to the current you are switching and should be given for inductive load. The current depends on the transformer you use, but Mr. Elliott's recommendation to use 10 A or higher will be okay for the vast majority of audio amplifiers.
All other values should be of no concern for this application.

454Casull said:
Yes. Direct replacements for the BC558 are BC556/BC557/BC559/BC560. They are all the same, except that some of them have higher voltage ratings than the BC558.

454Casull said:
Both will work. The Omron relay will hold ~double as long, but both will probably live longer than the entire rest of the amplifier, as long as there is no short at the relay output.

454Casull said:
Does the polarity/direction of current through the relay coil matter?
Usually not. Only, when you have a relay with built-in flyback diodes or LEDs

454Casull said:
Also, I'm still not sure about what the earth symbols mean here: http://sound.westhost.com/p39-fig2.gif. If one takes mains into the chassis, then I could see needing to earth it and then you have your earth, but if I use a wall-wart I won't have that.
That will be the common ground then.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I built the ESP soft start on an earlier project and it works fine. It is a bit complex and the need (or preference) for a auxiliary supply to run it is a downer.

Below is something simpler - it runs off the main power supply and uses a thermistor as the inrush current limiter (safer than the power resistors). There is a 1 second delay before the relay closes, bypassing the thermistor.

Attachments

• 117.png
    117.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 811
MJL21193 said:
Simpler than the RC I've shown in post #10?
:whazzat:

Parts count wize, yes. Your circuit has 11 parts (minus the relay and relay diode); a 555 circuit needs only 3.

I built the circuit from here a few days ago to take an amplifer out of mute state after power on. It draws about 32mA @ 12V with the relay shown. Use a bigger relay and some large power resistors and you have a soft start.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The timer itself only has 6 parts. The circuit in post #10 is a complete softstart.

I like the 555 but my circuit is doing a few thing, including handling and reducing the full rail voltage of the power supply for its operation.

Attachments

• picture 1068.jpg
    picture 1068.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 467
Originally posted by MJL21193
There is a 1 second delay before the relay closes,
A soft-start time of 1 s is much too long. The transformer and the connected circuit(s) remain in an unstable undervoltage state far too long. The soft-start time should be something like 3 cycles, i. e. 0,06 s for 50 Hz.

Originally posted by star882
The easiest way is to use just a NTC inrush limiter. If more efficiency is desired, parallel it with a relay connected to the output of the supply. The relay will bypass it once the precharge is complete.
The relay does not improve the efficiency. On the contrary the relay consumes power, while it is activated.

The NTC will remain hot during operation. Therefore it could not serve its function, if only a short voltage interruption ocurred. The purpose of the relay is to take the current off the NTC, so that it can cool down and serve its function at any time.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
pacificblue said:

A soft-start time of 1 s is much too long. The transformer and the connected circuit(s) remain in an unstable undervoltage state far too long. The soft-start time should be something like 3 cycles, i. e. 0,06 s for 50 Hz.

Seriously, did anyone bother to look at the schematic in post #10 that I'm refering too? It uses a thermistor, not power resistors.

:xeye:

pacificblue said:

The relay does not improve the efficiency. On the contrary the relay consumes power, while it is activated.

The NTC will remain hot during operation. Therefore it could not serve its function, if only a short voltage interruption ocurred. The purpose of the relay is to take the current off the NTC, so that it can cool down and serve its function at any time.
In a high power circuit, the resistive losses in the NTC will be greater than the power used by the relay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.