Silly question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm totally ignorant when it comes to voltage, current vac, va etc, etc and there is something I have not found an answer anywhere on the net.

I have a couple of 300VA 230V 2 x 22V toroidal transformers and I have moved to the USA. What happens if I connect them in a 110V mains? Will they not work at all? Will they become 150VA? Or what?
Thanks

Yes, they will work. You end up with a 150VA transformer, and the secondary voltage will be 2 x 11V.

The transformer will be running at 50% of its designed core flux, and will run quite cool. I wouldn't be too concerned about considering it a 200VA transformer; the core tends to limit capacity more than the winding current, especially in this case where the core will be cool.

Just another question on the same subject.

If I connect the two trafos in parallel will I double the secondaries' output back to 22v??

Basically if the above is true, this way I can still use the trafos but in stead of having one per channel I will have one for both channels.

Thanks

Many thanks for your answers. Although I'm doing y homework I will hae to ask more questions since a mistake could be dangerous.

star882 said:
Don't forget that you can get 240v in the US by connecting from hot to hot.

Could you or someone else explain what this means? I live in an apartment and have no access to the electricity board. Just to normal double (wall) sockets.

Also, I do not want to end up doing the wrong thing as explained here: http://www.avahifi.com/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab1993-08.pdf

DRNB said:
You will have to connect the two secondary taps in series to get 22V.

Is this asuming I do what star882 explained above?

Many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.