The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does anyone know if SSLV BiBs have been used for powering a BoZoS, +/-60 V @ 80 mA? Can it be done, is it recommendable?

Best regards
Staffan

They can do it when exchanging the JFET tail of the 3-4 LEDS with a 15K 2W resistor and the BC550/560 error amp BJTs with BD139/140 or better. I.e. lower Cob, higher hfe, higher Early voltage. If adequate VCEO TO-92 like BC546/556 is preferred, some dissipation aid should be provided for long term reliability. That's the technical part to meet the output voltage and dissipation spec you seek.

Thanks Salas. What base schematic are you refering to. This?

How do you think it would compare to the original?

PS. I guess I will be using one +/- PSU for both channels so that makes 160 mA

Attachments

• 1V2+46.gif
    1V2+46.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 599
  • BoZoS PSU.png
    BoZoS PSU.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, its good now. R103/203 should be 18K 1W, the trimmers 5K for 60Vout.
Your electrolytics should be 80V and you will need 70V raw DC level.
It will be bit worse in performance than lower voltage standard 1.1 but better than the Zeners and series pass element one.

So out of curiosity, if I would P2P the PSU along with the audio circuit, should I choose another version of SSLV instead?

And, if using one pos/neg SSLV per stereo BoSoZ, do you think should I keep R16-17/C3-4 RC or skip/replace it?

Or should I then use one pos/neg SSLV per channel?

How would you have done?

Attachments

• bozos.png
    bozos.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 578
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, 1.1 discussed offers itself for a less troublesome p2p, more secure against layout oscillations than some other versions.

Not sure about the local RC cell, it may be beneficial to the audio part for more reasons than the obvious extra filtering. Listen with it and the new PSU before attempting to delete it so to have some real comparison.

Hi, im planning on building a 2chassis dac of the latest peter daniels circuit with salas shunt psu in one box with dc out umbilical to the box with dac.

Well my simple question is, can i power additional lm317 regs from salas without disrupting the performance of the main output voltage of the shunt reg?

5 Vdc for Raspberry, squeezebox, etc... 1-2Aamp.

Hello... :)

I would like to know, if there is any build of 5vdc output (1-2amp.) for the shunt -reg. ?

I have tried to find it, but there are so many comments, that i find it hard to see.

I am looking for building a new PSU, for my raspberry and DAC.

thank you / Jesper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.