The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Salas,
i've build some of your regulators and now I'm working on a 3,3V using the old Quanghao PCB board.
I'd like to know if there is a maximum output capacity that I can put on the load.
Also I'd like to use this circuits as AVCC of my ES9018.
Normally many people use preregulation like "Placid" on Buffalo DAC and after an integrated regulator like LT1963 or "trident".
What do you think if I connect directely your simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator from the dedicate transformer winding to the ES9018 analog voltage pin?
I don't use Buffalo dac but a diy board.
Ciao
Guglielmo

If I remember corectly the output cap is 47uF, why do you want to increase the value?

It's a good idea power AVCC of ESS9018 directly with Salas shunt regulators.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Salas,
i've build some of your regulators and now I'm working on a 3,3V using the old Quanghao PCB board.
I'd like to know if there is a maximum output capacity that I can put on the load.
Also I'd like to use this circuits as AVCC of my ES9018.
Normally many people use preregulation like "Placid" on Buffalo DAC and after an integrated regulator like LT1963 or "trident".
What do you think if I connect directely your simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator from the dedicate transformer winding to the ES9018 analog voltage pin?
I don't use Buffalo dac but a diy board.
Ciao
Guglielmo

Listen to others with experience in combining with such DACs me I don't use them to tell you my subjective comments.

Hi Salas,

Salas-v1_2R-HV-positive.gif

From the HV 1.2R schema, how can I increase the input voltage from 45v to 60v?
And, what is the requirement for Q5? I only know if I want LV output, I need to pick a low threshold version. How about capacitance and rise/fall time? Thanks.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
From the HV 1.2R schema, how can I increase the input voltage from 45v to 60v?
And, what is the requirement for Q5? I only know if I want LV output, I need to pick a low threshold version. How about capacitance and rise/fall time? Thanks.

R5 & R6 break the output voltage referenced across Q3 & Q4 in two. I don't see what is may hinder you for feeding 60Vin beyond the extra heat created across Q1 the larger the Vin to Vout DC difference becomes. The higher the DC across Q1, its parasitic capacitance tames lower. Just know to have Vout/(R5+R6)~3 to 5mA for the LED with resistors that handle the dissipation (Vo/2)*IR5,6 and adequate Q1 sinking with calculated Q1 temp to be still safe. Q5 should sustain the Vout and have capacitance specs similar to what used in the regular schematic. Dropping with RC,RC if the Vi-VoDC is very large is to be also considered.

R5 & R6 break the output voltage referenced across Q3 & Q4 in two. I don't see what is may hinder you for feeding 60Vin beyond the extra heat created across Q1 the larger the Vin to Vout DC difference becomes. The higher the DC across Q1, its parasitic capacitance tames lower. Just know to have Vout/(R5+R6)~3 to 5mA for the LED with resistors that handle the dissipation (Vo/2)*IR5,6 and adequate Q1 sinking with calculated Q1 temp to be still safe. Q5 should sustain the Vout and have capacitance specs similar to what used in the regular schematic. Dropping with RC,RC if the Vi-VoDC is very large is to be also considered.

Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier. I am going to build a 1.2R regulator for my amplifier VAS stage. My Vin is about 60V, but Vout is around 50V@20ma max. There is only 8V~10V in difference. So, I guess the original schema is fine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.