The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not that influential than the upper pair. This mirror solves some issues of the just 2 bjt simplest mirror there is. See to have same Vbe in the lower pair and not too big difference in hfe to the matched pair is a thing enough you can do. 5% or even 10% near hfe is acceptable even in the matched.

I want to build the salas shunt to power a class d amp requiring 24 v dc and about 2.5 amp .
Is this feasible with this circuit and if feasible , what are the changes necesary for the schematic in post no 1 of this thread?
My transformer is 22V ac and about 300W.
thanks for the help
k93300

Salas, your shunt is just amazing! After different power supplies tested in my DAC i've powered the single opamp that is after the DAC chip (AK4396) from DCB1 shunt and the sound is amazing, what a voice, what details. I think i will pus some Salas shunt to my every home appliance :)

If i choose to power also the receiver and dac chips from a Salas shunt and after the shunt i have those Lm1117-3.3 and 1117-5 i still benefit from the shunt advantages ?

Last edited:
I have been using quite some salas shunts over the past years. I am using 4 LV's and 2 HV's in my dac and even use one to power my 24v Aikido preamp. Very happy with them!

I am not sure whether this topic has been discussed before, but I just read the article regarding regulators in Linear Audio vol 4. To my very surprise, the Salas shunt was evaluated both objectively (rejection, noise, impedance) and subjectively (listening panel) as number 12 out of 13. The comment noted was "slightly coarse, not engaging, competent but uninteresting, not well coordinated, somewhat murky".

This does not match my personal findings, although I have not compared with other discrete regs. Does anyone care to comment who DID do HIMSELF a comparison with other discrete (super)regs?

Curious to comments!

Edit: after reading my post, I want to make absolutely sure that I am very thankful to Salas for this design and as mentioned I am very happy with mine! No harm intended!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last edited:
I have a BIB kit from Tea-bag's group buy (PCB + 2 pos & 1 neg kits) and I would like to use it to power my Audio Alchemy DAC. I've measured both rails in operation and get the following:

+12V 230ma
-12V 8ma

After reading the BIB guide rev 2 a couple of times, the positive side seems fairly straightforward but I'm a little confused on the negative side. Is the 8ma current draw a problem? Should I be using a mosfet or BJT for this rail?

Thanks

Hello Salas,
i've build some of your regulators and now I'm working on a 3,3V using the old Quanghao PCB board.
I'd like to know if there is a maximum output capacity that I can put on the load.
Also I'd like to use this circuits as AVCC of my ES9018.
Normally many people use preregulation like "Placid" on Buffalo DAC and after an integrated regulator like LT1963 or "trident".
What do you think if I connect directely your simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator from the dedicate transformer winding to the ES9018 analog voltage pin?
I don't use Buffalo dac but a diy board.
Ciao
Guglielmo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.