The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Measuring with the scope probe this way will always add some noise, in my experience. For critical measurements I always take the probe sheath off and use a very short solid copper wire from the scope probe to the load ground. Makes a big difference for sub-millivolt measurements. Hehe, your work brings back good memories. :D

Indeed. Those springy short path to earth bits come free in the bags of even $20 ebay "100MHz" at x10 probes and we better always save them somewhere, they come handy.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After using the above shunt PCB with a DAC for quite some time for 5v output into a DAC, I have decided to re-use this shunt PSU for my Creek OBH-15 phono stage (24v 30mA required) as I no longer use that particular DAC.

A 5K trimmer, and 15R 5W current setting resistor will be substituted onto the shunt PCB, to enable setting 24v.

Whilst the Creek isn't the Highest of Fi, it's still pretty good, and will do until I finally get together all the parts for a Salas RIAA stage.

Until then, I'm seeing what effect using the above shunt reg will have on the Creek phono stage.

Just one question, I seem to remember reading somewhere in this thread (and I cannot find it after a search!) that for a transformer roughly AC volts in = DC volts out. So if I require to use this shunt for 24V output I assume I need to purchase a 2x12v transformer and wire it for 0-24v?

Have I got that right?

Many thanks ;)

- John

P.S. Will I need heavier duty heatsinking than shown in the above picture to run this shunt reg PCB at 24v instead of the original 5V? Ta.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
After using the above shunt PCB with a DAC for quite some time for 5v output into a DAC, I have decided to re-use this shunt PSU for my Creek OBH-15 phono stage (24v 30mA required) as I no longer use that particular DAC.

A 5K trimmer, and 15R 5W current setting resistor will be substituted onto the shunt PCB, to enable setting 24v.

Whilst the Creek isn't the Highest of Fi, it's still pretty good, and will do until I finally get together all the parts for a Salas RIAA stage.

Until then, I'm seeing what effect using the above shunt reg will have on the Creek phono stage.

Just one question, I seem to remember reading somewhere in this thread (and I cannot find it after a search!) that for a transformer roughly AC volts in = DC volts out. So if I require to use this shunt for 24V output I assume I need to purchase a 2x12v transformer and wire it for 0-24v?

Have I got that right?

Many thanks ;)

- John

P.S. Will I need heavier duty heatsinking than shown in the above picture to run this shunt reg PCB at 24v instead of the original 5V? Ta.

Hi John

Is this a BiB clone ?

HI,
Thanks for the complements and the advise,Yes a little ripple way up but very acceptable ,I will see if it can be eliminated,I didn't need the relays so Thats why I constructed the Mez,It works good ,I have nelsons B1's also and compared them,In my ear at the same volume level they are the same,Both Excelent,The shunt is prettier all those lights,Might go in a Clear top case,lol.
Is the circuitry for the newer designs better? Sound better?,lol.Maybe I should build one and see,
I see those boards are in the store ,might have to get one,,,,,,,,
Thanks Alot,
NS

AAHH Good ,
Thanks for that info on the B1-DCB-1,circuits are very similar,
I fiddled with the scope probe and it did indeed move the wave form ,so it is correct that my measurement is not totally accurate,my meter also influences the signal,It sounds good and I am HAPPY with it performance , Thanks again,SALAS.
Happy Listening!
NS

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.