The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
These are the sim curves for 1.2R and Reflektor (the two versions that fair better in that respect). A 1.1 reg was measured by a member on AP station up to 100kHz once and followed well, fairing a bit better than the sim actually. So the sims should be trustworthy enough.

Here is V1.1 sim:

Attachments

• Z1Sim_1_1_Jack_settings.gif
    Z1Sim_1_1_Jack_settings.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 504
Joined 2007
Paid Member
These are the sim curves for 1.2R and Reflektor (the two versions that fair better in that respect).

Hi Salas,

& thanks for posting the simulation curves :)

It makes me think that combining the shunts with a capacitor with superb high frequency performance (e.g. low impedance) might be feasible, however, I noticed in another post that there were some reservations about using high capacity capacitors on the output... Can I ask you if this this is so or may I combine e.g. the reflector with high value low impedance capacitors?

And then another question pops up and that is if one of those who built these shunts have tried to submit the shunt to a square wave load so as to see how it fares with dynamic loads?

Thanks again for replying Salas - best wishes from Denmark

Jesper

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The large output capacitor is going to restrict the open loop bandwidth and change the phase. Less OLG bandwidth means specific application purposes and less integrated total noise. Also means a slower regulator. It can possibly lead to redesign of sorts if it will make it oscillate. For the Reflektor use the STP type output Mosfet for best HF. You should try combining for yourself, haven't experimented with large output cap and Reflektor. Square wave load test has been done with 1.0 once.

Attachments

• transient.jpg
    transient.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 445
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Square wave measurements ...

Hello again Salas,

& thanks for the image of the square wave load response ... I guess the 1.0's response is the bottom curve, right? And from the slope of the square wave it looks as if it's about a 50 kHz wave frequency ...

The response looks quite stable ... do you know which load (current) difference the square wave created relative to the constant current?

Greetings,

Jesper

I don't know if the flowing issue is covered or not in this long thread.
I have build an 18V BiB positive regulator and I discovered on the hard way, by fraying the reference voltage bias jfet, that in the case of a short circuit at the output of the regulator and medium to high reference capacitor (over 1000uF) we need a protection Schottky diode placed in paralel with jfet.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have wrote in older times that a high value cap can kickback to the Jfet, normally not when under 470uF with Toshibas. I recommend 220uF in the 1.1 build guide for that so to avoid extra junctions in the ref. A J201 can fry at 100uf even in case of fault. Not only in short condition but on quick on/off cycling also.

I have wrote in older times that a high value cap can kickback to the Jfet, normally not when under 470uF with Toshibas. I recommend 220uF in the 1.1 build guide for that so to avoid extra junctions in the ref. A J201 can fry at 100uf even in case of fault. Not only in short condition but on quick on/off cycling also.

Do you see any problem if the jfet is reverse bypassed by a diode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.