The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Excellent, thanks,
Forgot 1 more: Total CCS should be equal to at least 150mA + load current?

The hotter the better but troublesome for sinking and for hitting 9610's limit eventually, so yes 150mA extra is logically good. Nothing stops you to run say 250mA extra if its a 9V reg for a 50mA load so the heat is still manageable of course.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, Salas.
1)NOT optimized. Next step I will try. Or will anyone try?
2)Yes.

Best regard

Now I see, you mean you want to still investigate about the Zobel and sonics regarding the new ST MOSFET. Now values come from the high capacitance Renesas we tried to get better before.

Since you got the nice 200 MHz Tek scope just watch that the now firm stability is not compromised during tuning it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As the 640 biases open its Vgs is about 4V. That one is a steady parameter in the circuit. It creates 4mA current through the 1K left side load resistor. This current is auto matched to the right side of the mirror and creates the reference voltage for the system by I/V transformation on the trimmer, adding the LED drop and two transistors drop of that side also.

Yes, the 5V minimum drop across the regulator recommendation has never changed.

That's great Salas! I may actually be starting to understand some of the ways in which the reflektor works through your kind efforts!

Vout=(Iref*R6)+(2Vbe+VfD1), where Iref = Vgs/(left side load reflektor). For IRF640, Vgs= 4V
R6 is the pot;
Vbe is for 2N4403
VFD1 is for diode in mirror

1. Total CCS current is (2N4403)Vbe/R1 = load current plus shunt current = load current plus ca 150mA as a guide
2. Absolute value of Min (Vout-Vin) >=5V
3. The dissipation on 9610 mosfet is (Vin-Vout)*(CCS current)
4. The dissipation on 640 mosfet is (Vout)*(CCS current-Load current)
5. Adjusting the Reflektor for different optimal currents, the best way would be to change R1

Last edited:
Now I see, you mean you want to still investigate about the Zobel and sonics regarding the new ST MOSFET. Now values come from the high capacitance Renesas we tried to get better before.

Since you got the nice 200 MHz Tek scope just watch that the now firm stability is not compromised during tuning it.

OK, you always encourage me forward. will try and report later.

Best regard

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I will get some STP55NF06 regular Vgs now that are everywhere to shop. For higher than 5V because still low pF and good transconductance so to evaluate for my REFLEKTOR wrap up. Higher voltage range with KSA1381 9610/20 640, medium with 2N4403 or BC327 STP55NF06 or FQP50N06 9620/10, Medium/Low with STP55NF06L or FQP50N06L.

Because my DAC runs on battery, I decided to increase the resistors value a bit on the regulators, to decrease the current. The default ones were cheap wirewounds. I put metal film ones, Tesla TR16* . I didn't think of anything about sound quality, I was just thinking about how great it will be that my battery will last more.

I started playing music and WOW!! Can't explain how much more detail appeared, I was amazed. I underestimated resistors and DAC PSUs untill now. Because of throwing away two wirewounds, I now rediscover my music again!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some others had also told the setting resistor can be picked up there in the builds thread, yes. When I had changed MOX to Caddock thick film in double mono 1.1 in a phono I had done other stuff in the main circuits too, so I can't attest even an uncontrolled delayed A/B opinion unfortunately. Nice that you got better sound, congrats.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.