The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For as much as the safe operation area of the Mosfets used, the sinking, and the ambient temperature allow. Its about dissipated power so voltage is as much important as current.
An example of a 5V reg biased at 1A would need 1.5C/W common sink for both Mosfets.

to be absolutely sure ask the retailer what the wires colours are and how to connect up.

As a back up safety measure, use a bulb tester for mains power up. Then you can check voltages without damaging the transformer.

BUT !!!!!! if you wire it back to front, then the secondary voltages will be enormous, maybe way over 1kVac. So sort out the wires colours first.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
to be absolutely sure ask the retailer what the wires colours are and how to connect up.

As a back up safety measure, use a bulb tester for mains power up. Then you can check voltages without damaging the transformer.

BUT !!!!!! if you wire it back to front, then the secondary voltages will be enormous, maybe way over 1kVac. So sort out the wires colours first.

Selectronic R-Cores transformers have writed the color codes in each transformer so don't need to do nothing.;)

.......... I want purchase some R-core txs from Selectronic, but by the photos they are all
center tapped (they have 3 output wires).Can I divide phisically the secondary to get two
indipendent ones? ... desoldering the two wires that form the central tap?.................

............... I'm confused by the photo of 50VA, there are 3 big wires(white,yellow and black),I thinked they are the secondary ones, and 4 little ones
that I thinked the primary ones.

Selectronic R-Cores transformers have writed the color codes in each transformer so don't need to do nothing.;)
then why does he need to ask the questions?
Is he a danger to him/herself?
Should we be helping this person to kill themselves?

Thick 3 wires primary, thin 4 wires secondary.
thick insulation and small copper area is likely to be high voltage winding tappings.
Thin insulation and big copper area is likely to be low voltage winding tappings.

Merlin:
Your advice/comment is very misleading in that it uses the wrong information to chance upon the correct conclusion.
Better to keep quiet than to make up the science you don't understand.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A picture settles it better.

Attachments

• DSCF2508.JPG
    DSCF2508.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 446
That pic clearly tells me that this Rcore has a single primary marked Black/White (Blanc/Noir) for 230Vac duty
AND
it also tells me it is NOT a 3 wire primary !!!!!!!!!!
(I can't read French upside down), but I'll guess the yellow wire is an electrostatic screen that should be connected to Chassis.
AND
finally it tells me it has dual primaries marked Violet/Green and Blue/Red, they are insulated as pairs.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The yellow primary side wire is ''Ecran electro-statique'' i.e. electrostatic screen to be grounded. I connect that to the mains earth IEC prong and from there I run a wire to chassis ground. You may see a white one bolted to the trafo's bottom right corner.

That pic clearly tells me that this Rcore has a single primary marked Black/White (Blanc/Noir) for 230Vac duty
AND
it also tells me it is NOT a 3 wire primary !!!!!!!!!!
(I can't read French upside down), but I'll guess the yellow wire is an electrostatic screen that should be connected to Chassis.
AND
finally it tells me it has dual primaries marked Violet/Green and Blue/Red, they are insulated as pairs.

You ment Dual Secundairies AndrewT.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.