The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is this a correct interpretation of Salas 1.0 sslv corrected schematics

Hi,

and here the corrected schematic.

thanks a lot @all

Attachments

• sslv_schematic_corrected.png
    sslv_schematic_corrected.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 415
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

thanks for your fast response. c4 and c5 in my schematic should be 220uF not the 1mF as shown in the schematic. you advise 47uF for C5 and for C4 ( both elekrolytics) and delete R3,R4 they are only necessarily for 9240?

I had run a spice sim for your available parts shown and what I advised gave the smoothest curves. Just do the revised schematic you posted without semi or value changes.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You engage AC input on scope. You set the horizontal (time button) at 20-50us. You set your vertical button at 5-10mV. You hook up the probe on power rail, crock clip at nearest ground. You look for a straight line outcome, no sinus or weird patterns, no thick noise fuzz.
Can't recommend for load decoupling in general, there are very specific needs many times. But solid tantalum 10uF or 22uF local capacitors did show good overall rail in some reported reg-load combinations.

"KISS" v1.0 18V prototype

Hi :)

I build a v1.0 18V prototype, main purpose is to power a couple of B1's (not symmetric).
I changed a couple of things:

1) CCS I = 100mA (R1=6,2)
2) Used TL431 for Vref
3) Used IRF9610 for FETs

The thing is powered from a 10VAC toroidal that I salvaged from an old traffic light ;) giving me some 25,5VDC; see attached schematic (from Eagle).

Schematic intentionally illustrates the components "placement" in the breadboarded prototype.
attachment.php

Initially I was having issues with the CCS as the current would decrease when input voltage (from lab psu) rose above some 21-22V, getting as low as 60mA at about 29V in.
Not good as it also hurt the performance of the shunt - set at 18,04V it decreased to below 18V when Vin got over 29V...
I therefore changed the current through the current sensing BJT by changing the 4k7 resistors to 47k.
Then it works nicely to atleast 35V in :)
According to my PicoScope the noise is well below -92dBu, only a spike hitting -92dBu at 50Hz - I'm amazed!!

Now I wanted a KISS shunt, and the TL431 does not really makes things easier. I do not fancy remote sensing as 1) it's not KISS 2) if not done properly you can end up introducing more issues than you try to solve. I suggest using high-quality caps close to power-need instead.
So, I'll experiment with some variations over v1.0 and eventually actually listening to it on my friends B1 ;-)

Attachments

• shunt 18 prototype 1.jpg
    shunt 18 prototype 1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 413
  • shunt 18 prototype 3.jpg
    shunt 18 prototype 3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 415
  • shunt sch.png
    shunt sch.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 925
  • LF noise.png
    LF noise.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 362
  • wideband noise.png
    wideband noise.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 147
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
TL431 is still rather noisy for Vref IMHO, make your C7 a 1000uF cap and see if it lowers the FFT noise floor. Here is a member's measurement from Mezmerize DCB1's shunt reg rail with LEDS Vref and 100uf filtering. 0dbu=0.775VRMS. Don't know if the ref level was set otherwise than 0dbu though.

Attachments

• PSUNoise+.jpg
    PSUNoise+.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 146
P.S. Is the second picture representing your Picoscope self noise floor limit?

Yes, I think so. Just for sanity I measured the lab PSU and it was about 12dB above, with clear spikes at 50, 100 and 300Hz...

Edit: It is actually measured at output of the prototype, but I think the noise is just below/on level with my scope... Quite amazing giving the circumstances :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.