The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Salas congrats for your skill and thank you for your amazing contributions. I have been reading your threads like crazy during the past few days, and I must say I am impressed of the work that you and others have put into these circuits.
At the same time I feel completely overwhelmed by information since I cannot understand everything (being a semi-ignorant diy dude), and running through the entire threads can be very tedious.

Could you please give me your opinion on using the reflektor (or any other variant of your PSUs) to power the motor of a Technics SL1200 MK2?
The turntable requires 21V at ~500mA peak.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't know what the motor may give it for phase stability as a load, you gotta try it to see it will do OK, since nobody had used on MK2 before so to tell you what's gonna happen. The Reflektor is the simplest to make and gives steady voltage easily. Use 1 Ohm R1 and BF245A without source resistor if you haven't got K170. No more than 30Vin and 2C/W common sink for the (insulated) Mosfets.

I expected something like that about the motor. I tried to edit the post to make a correction but the 30minutes had passed :)

I do not plan to power the motor directly. More of its driving circuit instead, so I don t think it would be much of a problem as a load.

I found a big bunch of 2SK170BL yesterday rated at between 6 and 10 mA so I guess I ll be fine using them (I hate waiting for stuff....)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I expected something like that about the motor. I tried to edit the post to make a correction but the 30minutes had passed :)
I do not plan to power the motor directly. More of its driving circuit instead, so I don t think it would be much of a problem as a load.
I found a big bunch of 2SK170BL yesterday rated at between 6 and 10 mA so I guess I ll be fine using them (I hate waiting for stuff....)

Powering its control electronics should be practical.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very good practical result on AP indeed. Without ''hot-rod'' spare current conditions even. Did you check noise if with a >=220uF Vref filter capacitor?

edit. Here is my bib simulation with your CCS/load settings. Repeating your Audio Precision real measurement for easy check.

Attachments

• SimZ1_1_Jack_settings.gif
    SimZ1_1_Jack_settings.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 607
  • Z_Salas_BIB.gif
    Z_Salas_BIB.gif
    18 KB · Views: 623
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.