The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those that might be interested I've had success in using these in my tape recorders. I've used them in Nakamichi 482, 482Z and one of my Akai GX-77's. The Nakamichi's in particular use a single 7824 to power pretty much the whole deck, and removing a link enables the 24V Salas reg to power the audio circuit alone. The Akai's need 10 and 24V regs, again easy to do but the bias circuit needs quite a bit of power so I had to leave this on the standard reg.

Improvements are not small at all and remove much of the analogue sound - the noise floor drops substansially and all frequencies are much cleaner and crisper. I just used V1 regs on strip-board, they are very easy to build and can be very compact if the layout is done properly.

Next up for Salas regs is my Nakamichi 680ZX and my main deck a 682ZX, and my main Akai GX-77. The 680 series decks use twin rails for the analogue circuits (-12/+12) for better performance than the cheaper decks.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Salas and all,

i would like to build a Reflektor with load requiring 50V / 30ma.
Could you advise on modification of circuit please (first one i see is probably need to change transistor type, i have access to many different types like bc560, MJE350, ksa 1381,...).

Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You would need a higher voltage/dissipation type. Use KSA1381. Next you would need a ring of two BJT CCS at about 2mA for the main CCS's tail, since the JFET won't take the max voltage. Use 60V or higher quick transistors. Last, your output voltage trimmer should be boosted up with a resistor in series for having high reach and to share dissipation. About 4mA run there, add 2Vbe and one LED Vf.

Reflektor is a company? I couldn't find it in Google.

I should be buying a JC-2 preamp kit in eBay this week, and it does carry a shunt supply on-board. So I thought I might replace it with a better shunt, and I thought of yours. What do you think?

Attachments

• JC-2 shunt supply.jpg
    JC-2 shunt supply.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.