The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i cant find the link where i save the schematic :( so i just attached it

thanks,
erwin

Attachments

• Salas Symetric 5V(2).JPG
    Salas Symetric 5V(2).JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 792
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Regs for a TDA1541 DAC

Hi,

I'm building a 4xTDA1541A DAC; the main reasons being to try non-oversampling, to use parts I have had kicking around for a while, and to play with different iv stages. I will use off-board regs for the -15V, -5V and +5V needed. (As a separate issue there will be power needed for other parts, iv board for instance, but that's not relevant to my questions for the moment). Everything is to be p2p, essentially, so I can play around with things later.

I've searched the thread for posts about TDA1541, and read the five that turned up - it seems Salas is recommending BiB for such a situation, so I downloaded the guide, and it appears the schematic is quite similar (using leds and so forth) to the ones on the "symmetric B1" thread, which I have used (and posted about) elsewhere.

Nonetheless, I would like to try the schematic from post #3200 for the -15V (except for IRFP240 in place of IRF610 as per post #1893, simply because I had extras in my parts box), and have a few questions, both about the circuit and in general.

1. It seems that with regulators off-board, the remote sensing wires should be connected at the point the power enters the dac board, not where it leaves the regulators. I can't quite explain why this seems the right thing to do... so maybe it isn't... Is it?

2. I'm thinking of using twisted pairs from cat 5e internet cable (which I have loads of...) for the remote sensing... Sound OK?

3. I have a problem getting parts here in Brazil. I've managed to locate BF245C to use in place of 2N5459 (which I gather from the thread should be OK) but C grade BC550 and 560 are tough. I have loads of B grade, however, would these be OK, or is there some other reasonable substitute? (I wondered about 2SA970 and 2SC2240 - not sure now if the numbers are right...) I can always wait and put them on an order to Mouser or somewhere, but I only want to do that if really necessary, since it means waiting until I have enough to make the postage/packing worthwhile. (And the weeks and weeks for the stuf to arrive...)

4. For the +/- 5v regs is there a schematic for v1.2R posted anywhere? (Couldnt find one). Or is it best to use BiB? If so, please say why.
Of course, if people who understand this think I should drop v1.2R altogether please say so...

Cheers

Nigel

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bib is only superficially similar to those you mention. IRFP240 is much slower than IRF610.

1. Where power enters DAC all 4 wires should meet. That's the measuring point.
2. OK.
3. Better the BC-B than the 2SA in this situation. No BF-C grade. It will push the error amp hard and bring up noise. Break BF-C's IDSS with a source degeneration resistor down to ~4mA.
4. Use the Bib there with 1000uF Vref filters. For low 1/F noise for digital. 1.2R has things to appreciate more in higher voltage analogue CCTs. Plus can be a PITA to debug if you chance on oscillation when doing your p2p.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

Thanks for the answers. A couple of points weren' quite clear - sorry if it's my ignorance...

Bib is only superficially similar to those you mention. IRFP240 is much slower than IRF610.

Somewhere on the thread I read that IRFP240 was less likely to oscillate. Are you suggesting IRF610 would be better here, or that IRFP240 is adequate?

1. Where power enters DAC all 4 wires should meet. That's the measuring point.

Uhhh... 4 wires means -15v sense wire meeting -15v power wire, and GND sense wire meeting GND power wire, right? Or did I misunderstand something deeper?

3. Better the BC-B than the 2SA in this situation. No BF-C grade. It will push the error amp hard and bring up noise. Break BF-C's IDSS with a source degeneration resistor down to ~4mA.

So BC-B is OK?

4. Use the Bib there with 1000uF Vref filters. For low 1/F noise for digital. 1.2R has things to appreciate more in higher voltage analogue CCTs. Plus can be a PITA to debug if you chance on oscillation when doing your p2p.

I'll read up on the BiB guide.

Thanks again

Nigel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.