The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks! I will be using BiB.

As my supplies used to be off-board, I had some decoupling caps very (3 mm) close to the supply pins of the TDA1541 (1 uF SMD film + 33uF BG + 270uF Oscon SEPC). Now that I will be placing the shunt regulators on the same pcb as the dac circuit, how can I best arrange this decoupling?

The BiB uses 2 caps on the output (part of the Zobel). Should I just place these caps very close to the chip and omit the decoupling caps I use now? OR should I use the caps on the output of the supply reg and in addition use a decoupling cap close to the chip? OR should I use the current decoupling caps as a replacement for the zobel caps of the shunt reg?

Salas already suggested to put a 100 ohm resistor at the output of the shunt reg when other decoupling caps are present close to the ICs.

I would leave the output El cap OR the Zobel (MKT+ R) close to the shunt device (BJT or MosFet)

Salas already suggested to put a 100 ohm resistor at the output of the shunt reg when other decoupling caps are present close to the ICs.

.. forming an RC filter??

If I understand correctly, this is the schematic
Screen shot 2011-11-04 at 8.57.04 PM.png

As far as I could read earlier in the thread, the BJT version is recommended for high frequency circuits, so I would use that for my 11 MHz clock.

For the inputs on the DAC (digital, analog and analog/digital), is there a recommendation on which version to use? Certainly MOSFET for the analog supply to the chip for lowest Zo.... The digital circuits are probably better off with the bjt-version...?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As far as I could read earlier in the thread, the BJT version is recommended for high frequency circuits, so I would use that for my 11 MHz clock.

For the inputs on the DAC (digital, analog and analog/digital), is there a recommendation on which version to use? Certainly MOSFET for the analog supply to the chip for lowest Zo.... The digital circuits are probably better off with the bjt-version...?

Also a big C101 polar cap value is recommended when applied on clocks. Due to sensitivity in 1/f noise of those circuits. Your other choices are good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.