The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Iko,

Just used generic parts that I can get locally. Smoothing cap is a 10,000uF 50V Nippon Chemicon KMG. Still burning in but seemed to have a more full body sound compared to v1 which has 8,000uF of Rubycon YXA smoothing that could have contributed to the difference in sound heard.

Powering a Monica 3 DAC that was fed from a Shigaclone, I must say it is the best digital sound I heard in my system so far.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Different smoothing capacitors is a parameter that can play a subjective role indeed. When it will burn in, please make a comparison with same filter cap and let us know. Its interesting, because its a DAC and will be a good indication to know if the extra work towards wider bandwidth pays. So to establish a V2.

PANIC !!!!

I power on the amp , the driver trafo buz like hell , on 2 speakers too!

the shunt led are all on , input V are lower on 50v (56)k I misure the four shunt out rails and are ok but the trafo start too hot like burn....

power stage rail and trafo ok

whats up!!!

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Insert a 1/2A fuse between trafo secondary and rectifier, if still ok, in the primary. Do not forget to let the filter caps discharge or discharge them with an appropriate resistor. salas is 100% right, you got a short somewhere. What's the voltage out of the shunt for that brief period when you turn it on?

Edit: it could be the trafo as well. I'd disconnect its secondary from the rectifier diodes/bridge and plug it in alone, measure the AC in the secondary. If OK, connect only the rectifier and measure the DC on +/- but don't have any caps connected. If OK, connect the caps next, measure again. Of course, do plug it out and make sure all voltage is gone when making changes.

Nichoh,
Dig up your old variac - very useful for this.

I've use a dual variable power supply (2 x 30v) for directly feeding the regulators (can easily check current consumption) then connecting to the transformer, diodes, etc with the variac start. Then it's onwards to the rest of the chain, one step at a time.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am talking Vsecondary*2.82 + 50% line transient safety margin, you must have as PIV spec for your diodes. I.e. a 150-200V PIV in your 40V secondary for full bridge. If your new diode is around 100 you will need 2 in series for each one of the bridge =8 pieces per bridge. Or simply another higher PIV part. What was the PIV of your previous model, failed diodes?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
11DQ10=problem with PIV

Attachments

• 11dq10.gif
    11dq10.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.