The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jameshillj said:
Zamphir and Ac Dc in one sentence is a strange thing.

About the time of the Rockers out here, G Zamphir was here for the making of the film Picnic at Hanging Rock and has visited often - his haunting music is never forgotten, particularly with the musicians from his home - we had the guys over from the Andes during these years, too - good stuff - music that you feel, rather than listen to.

Whoa! My favorite movie from OZ. Zamphir had a big part in making that movie work so well. Very spooky.

I don't doubt u know electronics much more than me - but one simple point.

If he can't hear the difference then it doesn't matter for him even in audio - in fact particularly in audio.

I guess my point is u may think it looks theoretically dreadful but if it sounds great perhaps we have to revise the theory.

Hey Gallon,

Long way from home, that movie, for you to see - "spooky" is right. Particularly with a bit of added sub-base to "stir the hairs" a bit.

Where the h*** is Madtown?!

Lineup,

the Tomatis System is readily available in Europe, Canada, etc - it's a preferred method for all sorts of hearing related problems in France, including their High Schools, I think.
It's the perfect answer for all of us "baby-boomers" (post WWII babies) that grew up on LOUD rack'n'roll and have problems.

Recomend you check it out - it IS possible to get rid of your Tinnitus in less than 2 months - not sure about the cost.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
jameshillj said:
Ah, good evening to you over there!

I forgot to mention it, but I now have nearly perfect hearing

Was it the french dr that fixed you? Or just another of life's surprises.

I remember you telling me to avoid using a series reg before this shunt

I might have said that; you should see the size of the ripple going into the regulator when I ran these experiments in the last few days. Didn't pay much attention but it looked around 5-600mV. The ripple out was well below 50uV. But you should try it with and without if you have it built already, and decide for yourself.

Good of you to do all the Sim work - I reckon it's the greatest shortcut ever developed - still, it takes up a lot of time, yes?

Yes, lots of time, at least for me; besides exploring different configurations, there are many things to test for every little change, to rule out problems. A very good tool for analysis and exploration.

And even better that you went to the trouble to check out the ccts with a prototype. That was one of the problems with the development of Colin Toole's reg design, IMO.
Even tho you don't hear from many of the folks that read these designs (and for years into future) your work is very much appreciated - between the pair of you (and other contributors, too), this reg is a practical reality.

Hopefully people will post their experience and impression of the circuits here. Someone mentioned that he's got access to state of the art measuring equipment, now, that would be nice, to get some real world psrr and output impedance plots.

lineup, you're so right about the loud music. I wish I knew that when I was a teenager :D

It must be either breakfast on a sleepless night at your place - mid a'noon here.

Tomatis.... I should ask 'em for a commission for promoting this thing.
The French Doc Tomatis developed a program that worked really well and nothing else did - all the tradional experts said it was B.S. but his sytem is used everywhere now - they have official clinics with audiologist, psycho, etc = a professional setup for anything related like ADD, Autism, Miniere's Vertigo, etc and hearing deficiencies, too.

Apparently, awhile ago, a sufferer who had extreme sensitivity (Hyperacusis) was using one of the centres in Canada and when the Sony walkman portable cassette players appeared, they copied the master tapes onto cassettes and so could use the modified recordings at home, and not be restricted to sitting at the centre listening to headphones for hours every day.
That's how the cassette system arrived out here in Oz - It's called "Sound Therapy international" and is administered by Raphaele Joudry who's mother Patricia did the walkman thing.

We also have the official Tomatis Centres here too, for those that require professional help. For most of us, we're can use the cassettes as we're able to "do for ourselves" so to speak (sorry!).

I "carry a soapbox" about this thing 'cos it made such a difference to me and now, all the family and other folk.

Now - regulator talk.

If I can get good results from an input ripple of 500mV, this reduces the demands on the raw supply very much. In fact, any miserable bunch o' caps around the rectifiers will do that much.

So, this Reg is even better than ever I imagined.

That guy about the access to the Uni measuring equiptment is a local here, I think - haven't heard from him in a while - will chase it up and see if the access is still available and if it can be done - lots of changes out here, too, with the money situation.

jameshillj said:
Lineup,
the Tomatis System is readily available in Europe, Canada, etc - it's a preferred method
---
Recomend you check it out - it IS possible to get rid of your Tinnitus in less than 2 months - not sure about the cost.
jameshillj said:
It must be either breakfast on a sleepless night at your place - mid a'noon here.
Tomatis.... I should ask 'em for a commission for promoting this thing.
The French Doc Tomatis developed a program that worked really well and nothing else did - all the tradional experts said it was B.S. but his sytem is used everywhere now - they have official clinics with audiologist, psycho, etc = a professional setup for anything related like ADD, Autism, Miniere's Vertigo, etc and hearing deficiencies, too.

Thanks for info about tomatis
I did not know or had heard about this method.

Mentioned first time 2004 ar our forum:
diyAudio Forums > Top >Other Stuff >Off Topic >
Tinnitus.. anyone else got it?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35871

Maybe we can continue read/discuss in that topic .. instead of being slighly Off topic here.

regards

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Lumba Ogir said:
ikoflexer,

Maybe I tell you some other time. Now, if you want to significantly improve salas`nice regulator, go for a differential amplifier. Also, you should cut down on fooling around with LTSpice.

Come on, be nice and give me a short summary of what's wrong with the circuit :)

Also, instead of fooling around with ltspice, what should I do? I do appreciate your advice!

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
jameshillj said:

Tomatis.... ...

I "carry a soapbox" about this thing 'cos it made such a difference to me and now, all the family and other folk.

This is good info James, I'm sure someone will benefit from it.

If I can get good results from an input ripple of 500mV, this reduces the demands on the raw supply very much. In fact, any miserable bunch o' caps around the rectifiers will do that much.

So, this Reg is even better than ever I imagined.

Yes, v1 is quite excellent at that. Most oscilloscopes aren't sensitive enough to show the ripple on the output of the regulator. It's really something to see it with your own eyes. I'm thinking out loud now, but one can build a simple noise amplifier of about 40db by pulling the riaa filter out of a simple phono stage preamp like the one one salas designed. 50uV regulator output would be amplified to 5mV which can be seen on most scopes, or even measured with a decent DMM. Absolute and very precise measurements are not necessary IMHO, unless one wants to publish results and so on. To tweak a circuit and get the grounding right a simple such noise amp is good enough; you just change things until you see the smallest RMS voltage on the DMM or the smallest ripple on the scope. Even a simple opamp preamp would do I think.

That guy about the access to the Uni measuring equiptment is a local here, I think - haven't heard from him in a while - will chase it up and see if the access is still available and if it can be done - lots of changes out here, too, with the money situation.

I know what you mean. What a coincidence, I had a similar experience recently and might be able to get access to some professional measurement equipment, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ikoflexer,
LTSpice can show operating points, but not dynamic course of events, therefore it`s worthless.

Basic topology using differential amplifier:

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,293

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Lumba Ogir said:
ikoflexer,
LTSpice can show operating points, but not dynamic course of events, therefore it`s worthless.

Basic topology using differential amplifier:

I'm trying to make sure I don't misunderstand you. You are saying that the transient analysis in ltspice does not show the dynamic course of events and therefore it is worthless? In that case do you recommend any other simulator? Or your don't recommend a simulator at all?

The differential topology you recommend, is it an improvement over the salas regulator?

Please enlighten me.

jameshillj said:
Hey Gallon,

Long way from home, that movie, for you to see - "spooky" is right. Particularly with a bit of added sub-base to "stir the hairs" a bit.

Where the h*** is Madtown?!

Hello James,
Picnic at Hanging Rock got serious critical acclaim back when it came out. I still see it every couple of years or so. It still freaks me out, which my world wise University daughter finds hilarious. Little ingrate.

Peter Weir is a well known director here, and a favorite of mine. He did a great job with Master and Commander, great historic visuals. The story was completely different than the original book of course. As always, the book was far better than the movie plot.

Madtown is Madison Wisconsin USA. Great place, progressive politics and bohemian atmosphere, world class university. 17 Nobel prizes and counting. John Bardeen came from here. Currently, the father of stem cell research James Thompson is on the faculty. So I am sure he will win a Nobel too.

All that is great, but what is best about Madison is the location. The University of Wisconsin is located right on a lake. Madison is situated on 5 lakes. And the cuisine is bohemian. Some of Americas best beer comes from around here, the area produces world class cheeses, and we are known for our bratwursts. So, one wonders at the students actual motivations when they come here. :) Ergo: Madtown.

Madison gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gallon

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
gallon said:

All that is great, but what is best about Madison is the location. The University of Wisconsin is located right on a lake. Madison is situated on 5 lakes.

Does that imply good fishing around there? :D

Edit: nice gallery, thanks for sharing. Photography/classic cameras was my #1 passion not too long ago. I still use my SS Leica M3 occasionally, and love it.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
thanh1973 said:
Hi Ikoflexer
If you want to do real measurement. I have access to some pretty fancy equipment. Maybe james could do some quick point to point designs and I could do the testing.

Oh, yes, now I remember it was you. OK, that'd be great. I'll try to get some measurements done locally, but if that doesn't pan out, perhaps I could send the circuit to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.