The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No way. Extremely small. Keep in mind that you are about to make the low MC simplistic phono, with 45V B+. You also want to run the reg at circa 200mA CCS. Assuming 50mA load for 2 channels, there is a 150mA @ 45V excess to burn on the shunt Mosfet at ALL time. That means 6.75W dissipation. Plus 2W on the CCS Mosfet assuming 10V Vin minus Vout. Look for 1C/W sink spec to mount both on.

P.S. That link shows 6.5 Euro.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Two questions more:

1-Value for fuse?
2-Value in wats & omhs for dummy load to check the voltage before connect to the Simplistisc phono RIAA?

Are you going to use one regulator per channel? Or one regulator for both L and R channels?

It also depends on what current limit you will set the regulators. Let's say, for example, that you will use one regulator for each channel. Let's say that you set the current limit to 300mA for each regulator. That would be a total of 600mA being drawn from the wall. A 750mA or 1A fuse is OK.

I forgot how much current draws the phono stage, but it's not more than 100mA total. The regulator is probably set to something like 22V - 25V. So a resistor in the range 150R - 250R 5W would be good for testing.

Hope this helps.

I have added myself to your list for the pro PCB simplistic, can this PCB also be used for the low voltage simplistic? that, as well as price will effect whether I increase the amount I get. thanks for putting this together both you, salas and everyone involved to this day!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.