Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2017, 06:28 AM   #7721
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenuts View Post
OK, thanks for that guidance. I copied and pasted the info into my notes on the SSLV.

I'm sorting things out with Tea now. It looks like if I want to have the option to put together SSLV supplies for all three projects that I will need to order 3 of the SSLV boards in order to have a positive and negative rail for each supply.

The mini DSP can run anywhere from 5-24Vdc and needs 150mA according to the manual. The BoozeHound Phono runs on 18-24Vdc and supposedly uses less than 50mA, but I think it's prudent to give it the ability to supply 100-150mA.

The ZYX CCP-1 needs 12V, and I'll be running the mini DSP at 12V and the BoozeHound at 18V. So I guess I will need 3 each of the positive and negative rail mini kits with the IRF9530/530 option? I realize there are other items I will need to come up with to set the voltage for each supply properly.

Each board has two positive and one negative sections. Its also readily breakable along each section because it has a V groove. You will only need utilize and populate the positive sections since all the gear you listed accept monopolar (+/0) power. So it takes two boards to collect three positives. Save the remaining sections for future projects that may need bipolar (+/0/-) symmetrical rails.

You don't have to replace the IRF9610 current source by the more robust but slower IRF9530 because you don't need any excessive current setting. The IRF9530 shall remain in the shunt output position only as in the standard design.

The mini DSP 2x4 will be drawing 150mA at 5V and about 75mA at 12V as I read in the company's support forum. I have one too but I never bothered to measure its exact consumption because it wasn't getting hot and a small wall wart could easily power it. The Boozehound is a light load too as you said.
Old 13th December 2017, 09:51 AM   #7722
sianturi is offline sianturi  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Phew, lots of drawing.
Hello Salas,

In V1.2R up to 45V positive:
Q3 and Q4 are BC550C

But in V1.2R minus (-45V version):
Q3 and Q4 are BC560B

Is this correct? I thought Q3/Q4 in V1.2R minus should be BC560C (instead of the B version)....

Thank you
Old 13th December 2017, 10:07 AM   #7723
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I probably had silverface Philips BC560B from some small NOS stash at the time in the prototype but it shouldn't matter for those positions. Use C as well.
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:03 AM   #7724
rhythmsandy is offline rhythmsandy
diyAudio Member

can we use J113 N channel Jfet as I have some in stock it also uses Process 51.
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/J113-889353.pdf
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:05 PM   #7725
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I find that they usually have Vp 1-2V & Idss 10-20mA so not useful for straight substitutions in these designs. If you got any samples that measure around 0.6V Vp they may do.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:43 AM   #7726
diyAudio Member

how about using PF5102
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/PF5102-D.pdf
Old 4th January 2018, 10:45 AM   #7727
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Not for all places in those designs, higher VGS(off) than workable under one Vbe is the main obstruction although Idss is tame 5mA to 11mA usually. Even the 5mA ones have 0.8V VGS(off) also named pinch off voltage (Vp). I measured about 30 samples. This type is employed in my DCG3 line/hp preamp's DCSTB companion PSU.
Old 4th January 2018, 11:00 AM   #7728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Not for all places in those designs, higher VGS(off) than workable under one Vbe is the main obstruction although Idss is tame 5mA to 11mA usually. Even the 5mA ones have 0.8V VGS(off) also named pinch off voltage (Vp). I measured about 30 samples.
so you don`t recommend the PF5102?
which other Jfets would you recommend apart from 2sk170 which are in TO92 package in the regulator?
Old 4th January 2018, 11:21 AM   #7729
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

lsk170
and available from the Forum shop.
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:02 PM   #7730
robydream is offline robydream  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Salas Shunt Low Voltage Regulator V1.2

I need to build this excellent shunt regulator V1.2 and here is the schematic that i connect together in paint so if someone can check if i connect right all before i do PCB Layout?

And need advice:

1. Input is 24VAC which gives around +/-34VDC before rectifiers and filter capacitors with resistora...i need to get output +/-24VDC (200mA).
So what i need to change in schematic to get desired output voltage and current?

2. Can i change BC550C/BC560C with 2SA970/2SC2240 to get better output impendance and noise? (I have both at home)

3. Can i add on SK104-25,4 heatsink both MOSFET so i need then on heatsink and smaller PCB or do i need to put separate each MOSFET on each heatsink?

4. My BJT Preamplifier draws 30mA so i guess it is ok to lower the input current from 200mA to 100mA to get same charactersistics like simulated in LTSpice or i need to leave it 200mA? 6,8R is then for R11 & R15 needed to get 100mA current? 0,66 / 6,8R = 97mA

And here is the schematic that i added snubler for toroid on start limit, bridge rectifier and RCRC filter to get @100Hz -75dB PSSR (if i don't use RCRC only large C i get PSSR -57dB so i use RCRC because it is excellent filtering device)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHUNT_REG.jpg (338.2 KB, 134 views)

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulatorHide this!Advertise here!