The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 635 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2014, 09:42 AM   #6341
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisho_daniel View Post
* I now get a funny reading when I check for a short between the + and GND points for the XMOS feed point (5V, 400ma). Black lead on GND, red lead on the +, DMM shows no continuity. However, black lead on +, red lead on GND there's a reading of 200k-300k ohms or so. The other feed point doesn't have this. Any idea how to resolve this?

After I fix those problems, I'll try out the 47uF on both feed point and sense lines again, as the earlier experiments seem to be invalid.
Disconnect the feed wires and read the regs and load points alone.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:45 AM   #6342
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisho_daniel View Post
Question : how much of what I've tried out with the Zobel arrangement for the BiBs applies to the Reflektor?

The dual transistors I originally planned for are still a while out since there was a problem with the order and then there's international shipping, but I already have the pass MOSFET, and I have 48 pcs left over of the BC560C, so I can already include that for my weekend plans.
You should not terminate the Reflektor with electrolytics as an alternative. Its not like the BiB.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:32 AM   #6343
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Disconnect the feed wires and read the regs and load points alone.
The regs read fine .... At the feed point, I'm getting a different reading now from last week ( or was it last last week? ). From GND to +, there's around .09M, and from + to GND, there's 35k ohm. This is with a benchtop Fluke 45.

On a whim, I whipped out a cheap DMM with a continuity check function and applied them across the feed points. No buzz to indicate continuity. Is that good enough, or do I still need to worry?
Old 14th March 2014, 10:37 AM   #6344
diyAudio Chief Moderator

This is down to another circuit than the regs that I have no knowledge of. Look in its schematic to see if there is something different down the road attaching on those power receive points. A bigger cap or a branch feed that creates asymmetrical impedance readings maybe.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:04 AM   #6345
diyAudio Member

Ok. I'll leave those details to the product's thread then. Later, I'll re twist the feed wire leads and see if that changes things to the better. If it does, I'll try the 47uF caps again.

Thanks Salas
Old 15th March 2014, 03:15 AM   #6346
diyAudio Member

Well, it's been a while since I heard the system last, but it sounds like re-twisting the wire leads didn't bring back what I was looking for. Subjectively, there's a lot of oomph that's missing from the music. Just waiting for word from the designer if the readings I got were normal, otherwise I'll probably order a new board.

Quick question : any lasting effects if I ran the BiB board a lot hotter than suggested in the SSLV1.1 Calculator? Apparently, the current consumption figures provided by the designer already had headroom built in. I thought I was shunting "just" 160ma, excess current I provided was actually closer to 250ma.

In that case, the calc suggests a heatsink for the pass MOSFET with around 12.87 deg/W. What I have in there is actually around 24 deg/W. I slept through some listening sessions before, so the board was on for more than 6 hours at a time.

Should I be replacing the pass MOSFET?
Old 15th March 2014, 01:10 PM   #6347
diyAudio Chief Moderator

No lasting problems when you run the reg hotter than you have liked for a while but it did not break. If the electrolytics did not suffer, the resistors and the semis will just go on.
Beware of placebo aural effects on first impressions also or changes elsewhere in the system.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:43 PM   #6348
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is what Vgeorge configured at 5V for instance. (see post #6252)
What about this for R7
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...-.01-ND/957482
Old 1st April 2014, 11:27 PM   #6349
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Looks like top notch for axial and potted.
Old 2nd April 2014, 02:23 AM   #6350
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looks like top notch for axial and potted.
MR106 is not potted I believe.Is there any advantage of using variable pot in this design?I have the George's design and the Reflektor design.One uses 10Volt and other 14 with some difference in componenents.Which one will you recommend Salas?
Attached Images
File Type: png Reflector-5V.png (26.5 KB, 220 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!