The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 571 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 06:53 PM   #5701
diyAudio Member

well thx for the moment, looks like I have a little bit to read tonight cause I was away from this thread for awhile
Old 10th February 2013, 10:17 PM   #5702
RollE2k is online now RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Don't need a SMD pcb anymore, i made a (really) compact design board 4mm wider than original pcb and two regulators per PCB, including psu common mode choke. Although i have removed sensing output, maybe i keep it like this or use smaller output connectors.
This will be perfect for my low current (100-120mA) demands.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks alot (once again) Salas for a great design.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:18 AM   #5703
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

The 1.2R could be very compact. Here is my result.

As you can see, the heat sinks occupy many of the space. I chose larger ones to sustain up to 600ma current draw in total (12vin/5vout). At 600ma, the heat sinks are "very" hot, but it's been running for weeks without problem. BTW, the red WIMAs are 4.7uf MKS2.

Last edited by canvas; 11th February 2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:49 AM   #5704
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hey Canvas, beautiful close up pics. You have rectification & filtering there also, yes? Did you check it on the scope for stability?
Old 11th February 2013, 05:22 AM   #5705
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,

Yes, it includes 4 HFA08TB60 and filter caps. The output cap is OSCON 47uf/16v, and it's stable under my scope. By the way, the zobel network is very important. At first, I put an OSCON 4.7uf there, but after I replaced it with 4.7uf WIMA MKS2, the sound has dramatic improvement. With limited space, it seems the WIMA MKS2 (MKS4 maybe?) is my only choice.
Old 11th February 2013, 05:29 AM   #5706
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes, its a sensitive area subjectively. That is why it got the film and the polar cap in combination on the original schematic. What you use it for? Oven oscillator, dac?
Old 11th February 2013, 07:36 AM   #5707
diyAudio Member

I use your regulator on my transporter, OCXO, and digital part of my DAC. I am going to build the negative version so that analog part will be take care of, too. Thanks for the great work, it helps a lot.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:55 PM   #5708
diyAudio Member

Salas:
Since my SSLV boards above will feed high capactance load (~220uF), i'll need to put a ~1R resistor in series before the load, but i started wondering. Wouldn't this in my case be best to skip the Sense-output, and just put the shunt-load in parallel directly on the board, then maybe series ~0,5R on the output wires. Why i'm asking is because i could use to smaller output terminals (2,54mm spacing) rather than the big 5,08mm ones i like to get sensing. But i would still need to put a series resistor at the load then, right? And this makes me think it would be better put the shunt directly connected on the board...
Old 13th February 2013, 08:59 PM   #5709
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Use a non super low esr cap and put it across the output on the reg without extra resistor first, then see if the whole thing with th powered circuit included has a clean rail on the scope in AC coupling.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:08 PM   #5710
diyAudio Member

I haven't ordered the PCB's yet, which is why i ask. I'm thinking about skipping the Sense-output due to that maybe won't work with the capacitance, and also in the compact design, i get a little bit "better" layout without the extra pcb-lanes for sensing. So why i asked now is because i wonder which version of the PCB i should order, with or without sensing.

Last edited by RollE2k; 13th February 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!