Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2012, 01:19 AM   #5501
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Good news. Don't give up on the follower transistor yet, if it can fit in steadily, it boosts the performance. You may do a before and after listening test and decide better when finished. Can you upload a shot of your interesting total configuration?
Old 25th October 2012, 06:35 AM   #5502
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Normally the R core gives better mains isolation due to completely separate primary and secondary

It seems that's rarely the case. From what i understand most R-cores are wound in a balanced manner.
Old 25th October 2012, 09:10 AM   #5503
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That's what I have read when the manufacturer divulges his trade secret.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:30 AM   #5504
diyAudio Member

A while ago I compared an R-core transformer with some toroid transformers in an experimental tube preamp project. Although R-cores have much lower capacitance between primary and secondary, there was not a big difference in sound quality between the R-core and a toroid of about the same VA rating. But there was a distinct difference when I compared bigger VA ratings. The bigger the transformer the better the sound! And this was not by a small margin. This pre was never built but I ended then with a 500VA (230V sec.) toroid with fast rectifiers and only about 50uF of smoothing capacitance before the voltage regulator and it sounded wonderful!

Peter
Old 25th October 2012, 10:47 AM   #5505
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Hi Peter,

Any theories about why the bigger transformers sound better ?

Does this extend to Power Amplifiers also ?

My only comparison of transformers was between similar specified torroidal & EI transformers when developing a power amplifier. They were about 200VA & 18VAC + 18VAC. In this A/B comparison the EI transformer sounded MUCH better.

These days I always used comprehensive filtration in all legs after the bridge and this makes the different types of transformer almost indistinguishable but I am interested to understand your findings more.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:36 AM   #5506
diyAudio Member

Hi Mikelm,

Yes this also extends to power amplifiers. In power amplifiers it is better beef up your transformer than to enlarge smoothing capacitance (generally). I can not proof that with theory, but I think that it is an advantage to have fast charging times. So: big transformers, fast (soft recovery) rectifiers and just enough capacitance.

Peter
Old 25th October 2012, 12:43 PM   #5507
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Well, Peter that is an interesting perspective which I will definitely check out . . . . but it makes be laugh a little bit to hear this because it is so different than that which I would expect to be the case but I know from experience that I can believe your advice.

My personal PSU philosophy is more along the lines of " if the type of transformer can make a difference . . . . then the post transformer line regulation measures to filter out mains noise / diode switching / secondaries resonance etc . . . just aren't working well enough ".

Funny we should chat again today because only yesterday I was trying to implement a LM285Z-2.5 that you recommended to me when we were discussing LDR volume controls. Only in this case I could not get a good result from it - in fact in this case - a green LED gave much better measured result. I will PM to you - perhaps you can tell me if I made an error.

thx

mike
Old 25th October 2012, 06:43 PM   #5508
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietjers View Post
. But there was a distinct difference when I compared bigger VA ratings. The bigger the transformer the better the sound! And this was not by a small margin. Peter
I do agree with you.... That corresponds to my findings
Old 25th October 2012, 09:01 PM   #5509
orelli is offline orelli  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to orelli Send a message via MSN to orelli Send a message via Yahoo to orelli
+1
Old 25th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #5510
orelli is offline orelli  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to orelli Send a message via MSN to orelli Send a message via Yahoo to orelli
also paralleling two secondaries help the sound (of the same voltage, of course)

Hide this!Advertise here!