The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 545 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 05:56 PM   #5441
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
I used 4700uF Nichicon KG with Qspeed diodes, and on the shunt PCB 220uF Elna Cerafines. Been very impressed with the latest black-skinned versions of the caps. Guessing they've been subtly improved over the years. Actually prefer these to Black Gate standards now. Looks like I got lucky with the component synergy - really powerful, but natural reproduction. Hugely involving. Dare I say it, the DAC is sounding pretty damn close to well mastered vinyl now
You can't run an Aston Martin on dirty petrol, can you? Its the same with PSU juice. Must be clean. When shunt is high octane also.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:04 AM   #5442
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.H View Post
Can you recommend MOSFETS and transistors for a 100Vin, 75Vout?
Then also for a 75Vin 38Vout?
Can we use 2sk170 in these as well?
This config should do theoretically. For 75Vin & 38Vout R9 should be 24K, R6 8.8K, C2 50V. For 75Vout R6 can't be a trimmer reliably, for 38V a 0.5W trimmer will not suffer initially but better not for long term. FAIRCHILD KSA1381/KSC3503 can be found in large stockists, prefer ESTU hfe grade. Its power inefficient to use shunt regs with such constant current over load demand allowances in those voltages, watch your thermal planning and M1,M2 sinking.
Attached Images
File Type: png Scaled_Up_Reflektor.png (144.9 KB, 421 views)
Old 4th October 2012, 05:17 PM   #5443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only BJT output version there is for V1 and 1.1, the CCS is still Mosfet. I recommend full Mosfet if looking for 5V and up. 1.1 guide you can find in "SSLV 1.1 builds and fairy tales" thread, post#1
Thanks Salas :-) I'll take a look at it ....

Jesper
Old 5th October 2012, 08:03 AM   #5444
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
This config should do theoretically. For 75Vin & 38Vout R9 should be 24K, R6 8.8K, C2 50V. For 75Vout R6 can't be a trimmer reliably, for 38V a 0.5W trimmer will not suffer initially but better not for long term. FAIRCHILD KSA1381/KSC3503 can be found in large stockists, prefer ESTU hfe grade. Its power inefficient to use shunt regs with such constant current over load demand allowances in those voltages, watch your thermal planning and M1,M2 sinking.
Thanks Salas, at the moment there is Zener being used for both. Sure this will be much much better!
Old 5th October 2012, 08:13 AM   #5445
diyAudio Chief Moderator

And much much hotter. What is it for exactly, do you know the load's max demand in mA? This knowledge can save you heat for knowing your CCS setting limits leading to better setting decision.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:22 AM   #5446
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You can't run an Aston Martin on dirty petrol, can you? Its the same with PSU juice. Must be clean. When shunt is high octane also.
Absolutely! It's a turbo-charged beast from hell now

Thanks for getting me yet another step closer to the music

J
Old 8th October 2012, 10:42 AM   #5447
Phisci is offline Phisci  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Salas, newbie here. To measure the peak current used, can I insert a 1R resistor between the last smoothing cap and circuit being fed (say DAC) and measure voltage across that? Would that not be an average DC voltage? How would I estimate peak voltage (and hence peak I from V/1R)?
Old 8th October 2012, 12:08 PM   #5448
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Do that with 1R to know, play full signal, the most DC drop you can achieve with 0dB digital peak program.
Old 8th October 2012, 01:29 PM   #5449
diyAudio Member

Cheers, will try that.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:14 PM   #5450
diyAudio Member

More questions if I may: Can I run several loads off 1 shunt reg (for example 74hc74 flip flop as well as a DAC (+5V))?
What about using one transformer with multiple secondaries to power several of the shunt regs?

Hide this!Advertise here!