The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 544 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 12:22 AM   #5431
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by see2 View Post
All variants for R40 here:
43 ohm for sk170GR, 104 for BL, 134 for V
or if R39 is 4k
155 ohm for sk170GR, 275 for BL, 330 for V
maybe some suitable?

Also, what about this schematic? Its like an reflektor+one bjt, higher gain? How about it?
Just use one of your lower measuring GR without any drop idss resistor if you can't readily get say a BF245A or 2SK30Y 2N5457 etc.

The schematic is a basic reflektor hybrid with a CFP, it may oscillate on you terribly or it may not, I can't comment expertly on something not made yet. You may make it and let us know. Some day I will test the REFLEKTOR X idea I have in mind for about a month now for more theoretical performance with less parts than that. If it will work stably and I find it really adds subjectively too then it will only pass. Both demands are difficult.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:29 AM   #5432
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Or should I name it ZERKALO X inspired by the groundbreaking Tarkovsky film?
"The Mirror" trailer - YouTube
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:47 AM   #5433
see2 is offline see2  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Salas, thank you, very helpful
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:58 AM   #5434
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I recommend you build 1.1, reflektor, 1.2R, see their layout conditions, measure them, see they are stable on the rails with your load applications, listen to them carefully so to form your idea of what road you like and then test inspirations on them. They are a nice hobby because they contribute soul to known applications and aren't that expensive or big to play with, recycling parts between them even.
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:08 AM   #5435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
I had a preamble on how to scale it when I presented it but I will make you an example schematic with proper transistors to make things easily understood ASAP.
Thanks Salas, that would be a great help.
Ryan
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:45 PM   #5436
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just a quick question (I hope :-)) I've been searching this thread for the BJT version of the Salas low voltage shunt regulator but I seem to miss it. Might one of give me a link to the post where the schematic can be found?

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:08 PM   #5437
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Only BJT output version there is for V1 and 1.1, the CCS is still Mosfet. I recommend full Mosfet if looking for 5V and up. 1.1 guide you can find in "SSLV 1.1 builds and fairy tales" thread, post#1.
Old 3rd October 2012, 04:56 PM   #5438
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
C1 is the main filter electrolytic on top section drawing, maybe you meant C2 its bypass? I don't recommend random bypassing especially without instruments, avoid. Electrochemical caps alone will do fine. Its just in many drawings 0.1uF get sprinkled around ideally. But things aren't ideal, can resonate. C1 can be a Nichicon KG.
Use output cap 220uF Nichicon, Elna, Panasonic, not LowZ series any you may get easily. 105C are welcome if near the sinks. C4 Vref filter cap can be Silmic II, Nichicon Muse or Fine Gold.
Just a quick message to say thanks for your help again Salas - the shunt reg is finished and has really lifted the already good performance of my 'Audio Widget' USB DAC. Always amazes me the difference a well implemented psu can make! Thanks for a great design

John.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:40 PM   #5439
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Nice. Did you use a Nichicon gamut or a various brands mix?
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:52 PM   #5440
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice. Did you use a Nichicon gamut or a various brands mix?
I used 4700uF Nichicon KG with Qspeed diodes, and on the shunt PCB 220uF Elna Cerafines. Been very impressed with the latest black-skinned versions of the caps. Guessing they've been subtly improved over the years. Actually prefer these to Black Gate standards now. Looks like I got lucky with the component synergy - really powerful, but natural reproduction. Hugely involving. Dare I say it, the DAC is sounding pretty damn close to well mastered vinyl now

Hide this!Advertise here!