The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 541 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 11:58 AM   #5401
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
They are not far from 220uF. Make sure its stable on the scope, bcs ZLH is very low impedance. Don't use C6, its wrongly added in that drawing.
I don't have a scope alas Salas. I guess that being the case I should wait and order a pair of 220uFs then? Any brands/types recommended which would be suitable in terms of impedence?

I've left C6 free. Is C1 ok to populate? I have an Arcotronics 0.1uF Polypropylene I could use here.

Cheers.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:58 PM   #5402
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I would leave C1 out.
Or, add 1r in series to create a damped R+C. That 1R will probably need some or much adjusting to optimise it.

Don't waste a low ESR polypropylene in a R+C snubber on the PSU side.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:08 PM   #5403
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
I don't have a scope alas Salas. I guess that being the case I should wait and order a pair of 220uFs then? Any brands/types recommended which would be suitable in terms of impedence?

I've left C6 free. Is C1 ok to populate? I have an Arcotronics 0.1uF Polypropylene I could use here.

Cheers.
C1 is the main filter electrolytic on top section drawing, maybe you meant C2 its bypass? I don't recommend random bypassing especially without instruments, avoid. Electrochemical caps alone will do fine. Its just in many drawings 0.1uF get sprinkled around ideally. But things aren't ideal, can resonate. C1 can be a Nichicon KG.
Use output cap 220uF Nichicon, Elna, Panasonic, not LowZ series any you may get easily. 105C are welcome if near the sinks. C4 Vref filter cap can be Silmic II, Nichicon Muse or Fine Gold.
Old 29th September 2012, 05:32 PM   #5404
diyAudio Member

On a different subject, has anyone tried to use(one section) of these regs for the Pass JFet BOZ? Since it requires less than 20ma, would you really need the power Mosfets? It is such a simple circuit, it really shows up the character of the p/s reg used. So far I keep going back to a 18v battery supply, everything else "gets in the way" of the sound.
Old 29th September 2012, 05:49 PM   #5405
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
C1 is the main filter electrolytic on top section drawing, maybe you meant C2 its bypass? I don't recommend random bypassing especially without instruments, avoid. Electrochemical caps alone will do fine. Its just in many drawings 0.1uF get sprinkled around ideally. But things aren't ideal, can resonate. C1 can be a Nichicon KG.
Use output cap 220uF Nichicon, Elna, Panasonic, not LowZ series any you may get easily. 105C are welcome if near the sinks. C4 Vref filter cap can be Silmic II, Nichicon Muse or Fine Gold.
Thanks for all that Salas - much appreciated! And yes sorry I meant C2 (which I shall remove). I'll order the other caps now.

Many thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 09:29 PM   #5406
diyAudio Member

HI Salas, any guide on how far the reg (Reflektor) is allowed to be from it's load? I'd prefer to keep the ac (pre rectifiers) short and run up to 30cm DC lines (force/sense). Is that ok?
Old 29th September 2012, 10:39 PM   #5407
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Should be OK, see they form a tight area between them.
Old 30th September 2012, 05:19 AM   #5408
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 11:58 AM   #5409
diyAudio Member

Salas, on R5 (value of 82R in 5V version), how critical is value? Could 75R work?
On the snubber (1R, 0.47u), what is design guide? Could 0.4R or 2.3R work with 0.22uF?
ON the 150R's (lead to IRF9610 and gate of IRF9610) how critical is value? Could 100-200R work?
Old 30th September 2012, 12:26 PM   #5410
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Depends on Idss but 82R should have about he same effect as 75R on dropping it. So use it.
Don't change the R on the Zobel, its the damping that can change the phase margin a lot. With the cap is the frequency, you may wander a bit when still stable.
Yes, 100-200R can work but if you have to deviate better go towards 100R.

Hide this!Advertise here!