The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 497 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2012, 12:38 PM   #4961
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew, yeah, pricing is tempting and they look like similar ones I have from Mouser but seller's location worries me a bit.
I'll give them a try.
Old 13th April 2012, 05:50 PM   #4962
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidesd View Post
Salas,a few pages ago, you commented:

when you say ''Its just so much quiet and fast using high gm low noise parts.''

do you mean that jfet Yfs in CCS is important? if so, how?
Usually high gm JFETs are of the low noise variety and they provide good grip of the circuits they load or drain. Can have high Ciss as JFETs go but no comparison to Mosfets, much lower for capacitance and noise. Thing is they are able to cater for small main CCS currents only as PSU needs usually go. Maybe a full low noise JFETs, low noise BJTs, and SIC POWER JFET boutique version of my gamut for the distinct DIYer. Nice, I could even sell a Swiss watch to a stockbroker with that kind of punch line.
Old 13th April 2012, 06:32 PM   #4963
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Nice, I could even sell a Swiss watch to a stockbroker with that kind of punch line.
lol...and if you have nice white theeth and a glow in the eye, you could even sell him a swiss knife
Old 18th April 2012, 05:40 PM   #4964
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
John, hi!

Fellow Briton KatieandDad had shown a combination like the one you have in mind rather recently and reported favorably. He had used a normal B1 fed from the DCB1's PSU section only. Since its a beaten path I am tempted to suggest you repeat that combo.
Here is the business end you need. Just use 10 leds for the shown row of 5. Feed it >7V than its output. R4 & R5 are check points for local currents that you may skip or not. We will be happy to learn about your progress and result.

Cheers
Hey Salas.

Sorry for asking a similar question yet again, but I've recently purchased the following shunt PCB from 'dvb-projekt' from this forum:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

He said although it was designed with your 5V Shunt design in mind, it can easily be used for 24V output instead. My question would be is there another schematic of yours I can use so I can make use of this PCB for 24V output please? The schematic you kindly posted for me in post 4946 calls for 10 LEDs, but this board only has space for 3. I guess I could mount them off-board, but if there's a different schematic I could use to 'fit' this PCB for 24V I'd prefer to use that.

Many thanks Salas

- John

Last edited by johnm; 18th April 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 06:43 PM   #4965
diyAudio Chief Moderator

This one uses a variable resistive reference. You should use 5K Voltage Adj. trimmer instead of the 200R. Don't stuff those two 0.1u caps, give it proper input voltage, use 15R 3W Current Adj. resistor. Should fit your purposes.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:54 PM   #4966
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This one uses a variable resistive reference. You should use 5K Voltage Adj. trimmer instead of the 200R. Don't stuff those two 0.1u caps, give it proper input voltage, use 15R 3W Current Adj. resistor. Should fit your purposes.
Wonderful! Thanks Salas that's faberino! So leave all the values there as they already are (on the PCBs screen printing) but increase the variable resistor and leave out the pair of 0.1uF caps?
Old 18th April 2012, 10:26 PM   #4967
diyAudio Chief Moderator

As you phrased the gist in other words correctly, yes.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:21 PM   #4968
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As you phrased the gist in other words correctly, yes.
Great - thank you!

An order to Mouser tomorrow and I should be good to go with this by the weekend

John
Old 18th April 2012, 11:23 PM   #4969
Tfan69 is offline Tfan69  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello Salas, i just want to know you that after i rebuilt the 1.2r from scratch and with a little different layout everything works fine, i had to put a 1k resistor before the trimmer because only 1k wasn't enough for proper setting in this configuration, i'll post some pics of my setup tomorrow
great work!
Old 20th April 2012, 09:11 AM   #4970
diyAudio Member

I have another quick question regarding v1.0.

Currently I'm feeding 2 LME49710HAs (used as a simple preamp) and would like to add another pair to the same reg for feeding DAC's output. It's 100uf MUSE + 1uf mks + 10nf mkp per rail now (47uf cap was replaced in accordance to preamp's scheme), do I need to add additional 47uf + bypass caps?

Also would it be enough to stay with 2200uf PS caps or they should be doubled?

Hide this!Advertise here!