The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 476 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2012, 11:16 AM   #4751
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

2SK170 is not necessary if the input voltage will not be higher than 30V. A BF245B with that resistor or a BF245A 2-3mA IDSS without or smaller resistor is OK. In general the circuit needs a ~2mA CCS for the PNP transistor that handles R1. Low noise part with enough voltage to handle target Vin and some resistor to cut any excess IDSS in a nutshell.

Minimum current for good output impedance would be 100mA excess on top of what the load asks for. Will work from load+20mA though. If looking for best subjective, load+250mA is nice. Mosfets can take many, but look for those recommended, or near ones, especially for Ciss at the input one, Ciss & gfs datasheet characteristics at the output one.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:08 AM   #4752
diyAudio Member

Using a load resistor at the output to insure good output impedance is recommended then?

For 100mA or 250mA or more?
Old 27th January 2012, 12:59 AM   #4753
diyAudio Chief Moderator

A load resistor is only for checking it out before really attaching something live. The extra current above load demand automatically runs in the shunt Mosfet and beefs up its performance.
Old 27th January 2012, 10:24 AM   #4754
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Minimum current for good output impedance would be 100mA excess on top of what the load asks for. Will work from load+20mA though. If looking for best subjective, load+250mA is nice. Mosfets can take many, but look for those recommended, or near ones, especially for Ciss at the input one, Ciss & gfs datasheet characteristics at the output one.
I thought what you meant here was to minimally load the output for best performance. Was I wrong then?
Old 27th January 2012, 10:50 AM   #4755
diyAudio Member

As I have a few around, I wonder: can I use the IRF530N for this regulator, instead of IRF640 or IRF610?
Old 27th January 2012, 10:52 AM   #4756
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
I thought what you meant here was to minimally load the output for best performance. Was I wrong then?
Yes you was wrong
Old 27th January 2012, 11:07 PM   #4757
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
As I have a few around, I wonder: can I use the IRF530N for this regulator, instead of IRF640 or IRF610?
Not optimal, but OK for test.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:57 PM   #4758
diyAudio Member

Well, I wasn't intending to use any part for testing.

What I wondered was if I could or should use that part or not, permanently.

You said there are already pcbs done or being done for it? Any pcb designs that I can see? Where?

The project looks simple enough for me to make the pcbs myself or perhaps use some prototype boards.
Old 28th January 2012, 01:59 PM   #4759
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

If anyone has been following the tue preamp threads the super quiet coleman regulator has been used to heat the cathode but also now the cathode resistor, negating the need for a cathode bypass resistor.

For IDHT, has anyone tried using this SSLV regulator to bias a cahtode resistor? May be a good alternative when you need more voltage than an led and don't want to bias the grid ading an input cap/transformer.
Old 28th January 2012, 04:59 PM   #4760
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Well, I wasn't intending to use any part for testing.

What I wondered was if I could or should use that part or not, permanently.

You said there are already pcbs done or being done for it? Any pcb designs that I can see? Where?

The project looks simple enough for me to make the pcbs myself or perhaps use some prototype boards.
If you don't care to realize its full you can use them, still decent.
Its brother SSLV1.1 is done on GB, now last round's over. Look for thread ''SSLV1.1 builds & fairytales''.
Use some proto boards, the ''Reflektor'' is safest of all to succeed against makeshift layout.

Hide this!Advertise here!