The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
- Prefer the lowest noise TC compensated Zeners you can find, or a string of LM329s or LEDS. Keep in mind that the noise figures of the ref should be still good at 2-4mA. A TL431 is an option also since there is a big filtering electrolytic.

- 200mA plus load consumption max.

cheers,
could anyone please confirm that this circuit (att) is correct? It is needed as PS for Red Baron TDA1541 dac. Other circuits work fine (+5V; -5V).
I get zero voltage on the drain after 1st mosfet, does it mean that there is a problem with bc560 (it doesn't look as shorted when tested with dmm).
Would appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 3.3v.jpg
    3.3v.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 485
  • Cricuit-SALAS-LOW-VOLTAGE-S.jpg
    Cricuit-SALAS-LOW-VOLTAGE-S.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 495
- Prefer the lowest noise TC compensated Zeners you can find, or a string of LM329s or LEDS. Keep in mind that the noise figures of the ref should be still good at 2-4mA. A TL431 is an option also since there is a big filtering electrolytic.

- 200mA plus load consumption max.

thank you
I ve done reference from led strings only - 12 pcs for a 24 V bypassed with 1000uF - I guess that Is OK
Interesting Is that when I power on regulator the leds start to light after 5 sec
and V out Is 24.1 V after 5 min It Is 24 V

about STP55NF06 dissipation - Not more than 24 V x 250 mA - right ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The delay is for the small current in the mirror to charge up the big capacitor at a high enough voltage to reach the Leds so its normal.
Your drift is more like one out settling of the Leds than a gradual drift. Very steady.
Its a matter of sinking but more than 0.25A spare will not benefit appreciably in this one. The output Mosfet idles at 6W already. Not trivial.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no arbitrary optimal, its about how much you spend to the load, how much sinking you got and the Vo that heats it up a lot the higher you go. You can afford to save 50mA in your case to make it a bit cooler for instance. Take it down to 0.2A.

P.S. At 24V your Mosfet is far less capacitive than in under 5V builds. That is a good thing.

There is no arbitrary optimal, its about how much you spend to the load, how much sinking you got and the Vo that heats it up a lot the higher you go. You can afford to save 50mA in your case to make it a bit cooler for instance. Take it down to 0.2A.

P.S. At 24V your Mosfet is far less capacitive than in under 5V builds. That is a good thing.

thank you Salas

at now I use Hypno boards and plan to upgrade to Reflektor

would you please clear In general bennefit of using more then 200 mA as a ccs
- that Is a demand more to a CCS Fet Instead of output Fet ?

No, I mean Q4. Each BJT showing about 0.6V Vbe in circuit and each Mosfet showing 3-4V Vgs in circuit, works.

Just have checked the reg and it's so as you've stated for Q1 and bc560. Q6 doesnt get any voltage at all. If I measure q1 drain and ground I get zero and on same working reg (but with leds, 2nd circuit) it shows about 5vdc.
I've already replaced q1, triple check the circuit. Damn thing getting me really frustrated:mad: Worst scenario I'll replace it with leds if run out of patience...

BD140 has reverse pin order to the one designated on the schematic.

I thought it's (Bd140) a direct replacement to D45H, isn't it?!

If I disconnect the drain of Q1, I still get zero on it. Seems to me the problem is in the left part of the circuit.
I've attached the reg itself and another circuit with bd140 I found some years ago in this thread :)
Many thanks for your help, Salas!

Attachments

• Low-SSHV-ad-3-to-25V.jpg
    Low-SSHV-ad-3-to-25V.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 1,246
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 624
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.