Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2009, 11:56 AM   #291
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumba Ogir
ikoflexer,

Maybe I tell you some other time. Now, if you want to significantly improve salas`nice regulator, go for a differential amplifier. Also, you should cut down on fooling around with LTSpice.
Come on, be nice and give me a short summary of what's wrong with the circuit

Also, instead of fooling around with ltspice, what should I do? I do appreciate your advice!
Old 1st June 2009, 02:26 PM   #292
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jameshillj
It must be either breakfast on a sleepless night at your place - mid a'noon here.

Tomatis.... ...

I "carry a soapbox" about this thing 'cos it made such a difference to me and now, all the family and other folk.

This is good info James, I'm sure someone will benefit from it.

Quote:

If I can get good results from an input ripple of 500mV, this reduces the demands on the raw supply very much. In fact, any miserable bunch o' caps around the rectifiers will do that much.

So, this Reg is even better than ever I imagined.
Yes, v1 is quite excellent at that. Most oscilloscopes aren't sensitive enough to show the ripple on the output of the regulator. It's really something to see it with your own eyes. I'm thinking out loud now, but one can build a simple noise amplifier of about 40db by pulling the riaa filter out of a simple phono stage preamp like the one one salas designed. 50uV regulator output would be amplified to 5mV which can be seen on most scopes, or even measured with a decent DMM. Absolute and very precise measurements are not necessary IMHO, unless one wants to publish results and so on. To tweak a circuit and get the grounding right a simple such noise amp is good enough; you just change things until you see the smallest RMS voltage on the DMM or the smallest ripple on the scope. Even a simple opamp preamp would do I think.
Quote:

That guy about the access to the Uni measuring equiptment is a local here, I think - haven't heard from him in a while - will chase it up and see if the access is still available and if it can be done - lots of changes out here, too, with the money situation.
I know what you mean. What a coincidence, I had a similar experience recently and might be able to get access to some professional measurement equipment, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 1st June 2009, 03:25 PM   #293
Lumba Ogir is offline Lumba Ogir  Sweden
Banned

ikoflexer,
LTSpice can show operating points, but not dynamic course of events, therefore it`s worthless.

Basic topology using differential amplifier:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (60.0 KB, 1206 views)
Old 1st June 2009, 03:41 PM   #294
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Did you try a current mirror for dif amp load?
Old 1st June 2009, 03:42 PM   #295
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumba Ogir
ikoflexer,
LTSpice can show operating points, but not dynamic course of events, therefore it`s worthless.

Basic topology using differential amplifier:
I'm trying to make sure I don't misunderstand you. You are saying that the transient analysis in ltspice does not show the dynamic course of events and therefore it is worthless? In that case do you recommend any other simulator? Or your don't recommend a simulator at all?

The differential topology you recommend, is it an improvement over the salas regulator?

Please enlighten me.
Old 1st June 2009, 04:08 PM   #296
gallon is offline gallon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jameshillj
[B]Hey Gallon,

Long way from home, that movie, for you to see - "spooky" is right. Particularly with a bit of added sub-base to "stir the hairs" a bit.

Where the h*** is Madtown?!
Hello James,
Picnic at Hanging Rock got serious critical acclaim back when it came out. I still see it every couple of years or so. It still freaks me out, which my world wise University daughter finds hilarious. Little ingrate.

Peter Weir is a well known director here, and a favorite of mine. He did a great job with Master and Commander, great historic visuals. The story was completely different than the original book of course. As always, the book was far better than the movie plot.

Madtown is Madison Wisconsin USA. Great place, progressive politics and bohemian atmosphere, world class university. 17 Nobel prizes and counting. John Bardeen came from here. Currently, the father of stem cell research James Thompson is on the faculty. So I am sure he will win a Nobel too.

All that is great, but what is best about Madison is the location. The University of Wisconsin is located right on a lake. Madison is situated on 5 lakes. And the cuisine is bohemian. Some of Americas best beer comes from around here, the area produces world class cheeses, and we are known for our bratwursts. So, one wonders at the students actual motivations when they come here. Ergo: Madtown.

Madison gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gallon
Old 1st June 2009, 04:35 PM   #297
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gallon

All that is great, but what is best about Madison is the location. The University of Wisconsin is located right on a lake. Madison is situated on 5 lakes.
Does that imply good fishing around there?

Edit: nice gallery, thanks for sharing. Photography/classic cameras was my #1 passion not too long ago. I still use my SS Leica M3 occasionally, and love it.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:24 PM   #298
Melon Head is offline Melon Head  Australia
Banned

Hi Ikoflexer
If you want to do real measurement. I have access to some pretty fancy equipment. Maybe james could do some quick point to point designs and I could do the testing.
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:53 AM   #299
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by thanh1973
Hi Ikoflexer
If you want to do real measurement. I have access to some pretty fancy equipment. Maybe james could do some quick point to point designs and I could do the testing.
Oh, yes, now I remember it was you. OK, that'd be great. I'll try to get some measurements done locally, but if that doesn't pan out, perhaps I could send the circuit to you.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:36 AM   #300
Melon Head is offline Melon Head  Australia
Banned

No problem.

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulatorHide this!Advertise here!