The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator - Page 144 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2009, 02:13 AM   #1431
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiNutNut View Post
250uA through Vref? You must be talking about the Vref in the CCS, not in the shunt.

With a resistor between g and s, the noise increase will be so little to justify any concerns, right?
Yes, 250uA through Vref. That's what I used, but I didn't put any time in tweaking for sound; until I fix my HP amp I rely on you for that guys.

I see no reason to worry about the noise because of that resistor between g and s.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:14 AM   #1432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
I have done all those things. That is why I am asking what you hear so to see if it correlates. I just give ''behaving'' practical and economic enough values that work more or less balanced in may systems and are easy for layout. In my personal phono I use 10uF Mundorf plain supreme.
Yes, one of the things I have planned to do tonight is to use a 10uF ICW SA Clarity cap in that position. No, I am not really fond of the Clarity caps, though it is 100% better than the Solens. I got dozens of them for my passive crossover modelling, only because they are cheap for me (cheaper than Solens). They sounded reasonable until I compared them to the cheapiest Vishay blue boxes and many others and found the blue boxes are the cleanest sounding of all. That is what is used as you can see from the pictures I posted. I guess Mondorf Supreme is the best crossover cap but it is way too expensive for my liking - never used it.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:16 AM   #1433
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
In all simulations I try to pretend a somewhat careless implementation; For caps I usually do ESR = 1R and ESL = 15uH. Pretty extreme eh?
You do well. I try to get a basic economic robust thing right first. Must not be whimsical. Then the good builds in resolute systems can take even top dollar stuff in places. In general I say run it high, dont put resolution over tone first, its tunable always if patient, but in several applications the mileage will vary. *That sqrt noise will be just a little, anyway the Vref resistor increase choice will swamp it.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:20 AM   #1434
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiNutNut View Post
Yes, one of the things I have planned to do tonight is to use a 10uF ICW SA Clarity cap in that position. No, I am not really fond of the Clarity caps, though it is 100% better than the Solens. I got dozens of them for my passive crossover modelling, only because they are cheap for me (cheaper than Solens). They sounded reasonable until I compared them to the cheapiest Vishay blue boxes and many others and found the blue boxes are the cleanest sounding of all. That is what is used as you can see from the pictures I posted. I guess Mondorf Supreme is the best crossover cap but it is way too expensive for my liking - never used it.
I got some parts from having build maybe 50 different loudspeakers in my life from 12yrs old. Check many value things and makes. If at a point you are going to feel a little grain, it can be large caps with large legs picking some RF. Final choice you will feel alters when in the final grounded metal box.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:35 AM   #1435
diyAudio Member

Ikoflexer,

The Farnell parts from the U.S. have just arrived. So as soon as the 2sk170 from HongKong arrives I can spend a day to build v2.

Can I apply the same to v2? I mean adding some resistance between g and s of the Vref NJFECT, and use a film cap there.

Regards,
Bill
Old 21st October 2009, 02:41 AM   #1436
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I got some parts from having build maybe 50 different loudspeakers in my life from 12yrs old. Check many value things and makes. If at a point you are going to feel a little grain, it can be large caps with large legs picking some RF. Final choice you will feel alters when in the final grounded metal box.
50 different loudspeakers? Design and build a pair of OB speakers to end them all. You may say it is all about personal preference, but I am a follower of John K, Linkwitz and Gedlee. I have heard all sorts of commercial speakers up to a quarter of a million dollars a pair, and my set up six months ago may equal or better than them. I will put in the v1 or v2 in it, with a recently acquired calibrated mic, I will retire from speaker building in the very short future.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:48 AM   #1437
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Only a pair? Let me think..of how many OB I have made... Geddes I don't think he favors open back. He puts wavelaunch purity and pattern control foremost btw. You made your system without a calibrated mic up to now?
Old 21st October 2009, 02:50 AM   #1438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only a pair? Let me think..of how many OB I have made... Geddes I don't think he favors open back. He puts wavelaunch purity and pattern control foremost btw.
I follow Gedlee for the multiple subs. I have no interests in the horny stuff.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:53 AM   #1439
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Nice spirit. Keep it up. And let us know more of your findings with time. Its nice you like the shunts in your system.
Old 21st October 2009, 02:56 AM   #1440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only a pair? Let me think..of how many OB I have made... Geddes I don't think he favors open back. He puts wavelaunch purity and pattern control foremost btw. You made your system without a calibrated mic up to now?
Did simulations for a few years, then non calibrated mic, and now calibrated mic. I trained / calibrated my ears first before the mics.

Hide this!Advertise here!