The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Point me to the original you refer to so I can recognize the part designations.

Oh, sorry, it's this one
171033d1273659169-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-1v2-.gif

Thanks,
Fedor

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Oh, sorry, it's this one

Thanks,
Fedor

OK.

You kill R6, R7, R8, Q8. You change C1 to 1n and connect from collector to base. You make R5 10R, Q4 BD140 (Q4 BJT surely having already). Q6 2N5457 you change to 2SK170 (there is no more than Vbe for it now and 2SK has low enough -Vt).
You keep R3 & Q1 if you got Mosfet CCS right now, it gives PSRR much better than using a BD140 there too. If by any chance you use a BJT CCS Q1, R3 must be 10R.

OK.

You kill R6, R7, R8, Q8. You change C1 to 1n and connect from collector to base. You make R5 10R, Q4 BD140 (Q4 BJT surely having already). Q6 2N5457 you change to 2SK170 (there is no more than Vbe for it now and 2SK has low enough -Vt).
You keep R3 & Q1 if you got Mosfet CCS right now, it gives PSRR much better than using a BD140 there too. If by any chance you use a BJT CCS Q1, R3 must be 10R.

Thank you Salas, all is clear, I will do it in a couple of days, will post back with results. Q1 is Mosfet (IRFP9240), so no changes there.

Thanks,
Fedor

is R10=27k.
There is 3.3V at it's +ve end and 0.6V at it's -ve end.
That 27k passes ~0.1mA.
The jFET CCS (Q5) is starved.
Even 1k0 will only pass 2.7mA. A Lowest Idss of GR grade might just work, but there is little spare current to supply the demands of the base pin of the BJT

The sk170 would all (Q5 & Q6) perform a little better if they are low in Idss at these very low voltages.
Might even be worth moving to the GR grade.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think I have told him to use small Ref in the V1.0 3V3 BJT request, did not ask if he retained that, probably not. Must up its bypass cap's value also. I would use an LED and a diode better. Much less impedance, most current through Q5 and no need to up the bypass.

I think I have told him to use small Ref in the V1.0 3V3 BJT request, did not ask if he retained that, probably not. Must up its bypass cap's value also. I would use an LED and a diode better. Much less impedance, most current through Q5 and no need to up the bypass.

Salas, can you specify what should be changed, please? I'm kind of newbie in this field :) Do I need to change R10 from 15K (you've suggested to use it instead of 27k for 5v version) to something small, and because of this, value of C2 will change also? And if using LED and diode, where should they go?

The sk170 would all (Q5 & Q6) perform a little better if they are low in Idss at these very low voltages.
Might even be worth moving to the GR grade.

Andrew, so it's better to change to GR grade of SK170 for 3.3V version? Right now they are all BL grade.

Thanks,
Fedor

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I say better use a 2V LED and a diode in series instead of a resistor and delete the FET's trimmer, just connect gate to source. That will give 3.3V more or less, very steady, super low noise, max CCS current. Cathodes facing towards the Vref's CCS FET. No need to change the bypass cap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.