The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Rcruz, I am thinking to change C2 for two Elna Silmic II 470uF 63V to reach aprox. the 1000uF 63V.

For C1 BG F series 100uF 25V

For C4 Nichicon Muse Kz series 220uF 100V

All resistors in the reg. are carbon film Koa Speer.

Now I am calculating the exact value of R1 to reach the needed 200mA because with 12 ohms 2W & after 1 hour connected only reach aprox. 170mA so surely I need aprox. 17 Ohms 2W to get the 200mA I am using a big pot of 50 ohms 5W to get exact value.

Now I am calculating the exact value of R1 to reach the needed 200mA because with 12 ohms 2W & after 1 hour connected only reach aprox. 170mA so surely I need aprox. 17 Ohms 2W to get the 200mA I am using a big pot of 50 ohms 5W to get exact value.
keep the 12r that passes 170mA when warmed up.
Now consider your required 200mA. That is 30mA extra.
Just calculate what resistor value will pass 30mA with your voltage drop and add it in parallel to the 12r you already have.

hint:
expect between 63r and 74r.

hint2:
total parallel resistance should be 10r2

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
keep the 12r that passes 170mA when warmed up.
Now consider your required 200mA. That is 30mA extra.
Just calculate what resistor value will pass 30mA with your voltage drop and add it in parallel to the 12r you already have.

hint:
expect between 63r and 74r.

hint2:
total parallel resistance should be 10r2

Many thanks AndrewT, so for a total parallel resistance of 10R2 I have to parallel a 68R 2W to get 200mA, right?

no. Volts / Amperes = Ohms.

Your calculations:
62,6V / 0,2A = 313 Ohm

use this pic for formulas
attachment.php

Attachments

• ohmtable.gif
    ohmtable.gif
    10 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Real world (pot 50ohms 5W+DMM)said that I need 15 or 16 ohms to get aprox. 200mA???

What's wrong?

Your leds maybe strong, follow DVM. Its not critical to set that or this current right now. See if your phono works OK too first. When you sort out all, and get used to it, then you can experiment to find your best subjective setting VS heat dissipation.

@merlin
measure voltage on R1. Then divide this voltage (Volts) with R1 value (Ohms) and you will get current through resistor (Amperes). You can not just stick your input voltage, then multiply with wanted current, this is not correct.
Several posts above is formula how to calculate output current. But it will be a lot easier for you to follow your DVM

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@merlin
measure voltage on R1. Then divide this voltage (Volts) with R1 value (Ohms) and you will get current through resistor (Amperes). You can not just stick your input voltage, then multiply with wanted current, this is not correct.
Several posts above is formula how to calculate output current. But it will be a lot easier for you to follow your DVM

Thks for the explanation, now I understand better.

Tomorrow I will use 12R 2W, so:

Voltage on R1 = 1,62V / 12R = 0,14A

I will follow Salas advice, 1st test the phono & after fine adjustment using 10R or other value to reach 0,2A

merlin el mago said:
Tomorrow I will use 12R 2W, so:

Voltage on R1 = 1,62V / 12R = 0,14A

I will follow Salas advice, 1st test the phono & after fine adjustment using 10R or other value to reach 0,2A

Great :)

Now you can use formulas from my picture and calculate power dissipation on your 12R resistor:

Watts = Volts x Amperes
1.62V x 0,14A = 0,227W
Your resistor will need to dissipate 0,227W. Multiply this value by 4 or 5, to be into safe area and round to nearest higher standard value.
0,227W x 4 = 0,908W and with 1W resistor (or more) you will be on the safe side :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.